Chapter 15

Lights. So many lights. For a moment, you considered the possibility of an airplane mistaking the exorbitantly illuminated Stark tower for a runway and deciding to land.

Then you hastily dismissed the thought on account of its sheer monstrosity.

Apparently, some mafia fight was about to go down and the team's last mission, the one you had stopped Steve from going on, was against the arms suppliers for one of the two clans. Consequently, they suffered a weapon shortage and the entire ring was wiped out.

Be it an indirect one, it was a success and naturally Tony saw it as a cause for celebration.

You were standing out in the balcony, away from the public eye and more importantly, the media. The time machine was restricted knowledge and the last thing you needed was a conspiracy theory going around about a time travelling geisha.

One could ask if secrecy was of such value, why were you here in the first place? And one would be right to do so. You wouldn't have come if Tony hadn't practically clung to your door, refusing to leave if you didn't agree to attend.

"You need to get out of your shell (Y/N). Mingle!" He had said.

He wasn't entirely wrong. You had never been profoundly social. The abandonment issues you had been scarred with for life inhibited you from forming significant healthy relationships.

"No Clint, I'm not taking my shirt off in front of all these people." At the bar, all Steve wanted was to get Hawkeye away from him.

"Come on, Cap." Clint urged, glancing at Natasha, clearly having an ulterior motive in  mind, "We all know you're ripped. Show us!"

"You're drunk out of your mind, Barton." While Steve handled an intoxicated teammate, Tony's gaze drifted to your lone form in the balcony, seated on the floor, leaning against the wall.

This wasn't right. No, this wasn't right at all. The only reason he had hosted this party was to get to know you better. More so, to spend more time with you; which wasn't going to happen if you continued to be where you were. Unless he could be out there with you.

"Care for a drink?" Next thing you knew, Tony was standing right beside you. He had a glass of wine in each hand, one of which he offered to you.

"Shouldn't you be in there?" You quipped but accepted the drink nonetheless. Tony smirked. Your quick wit was one of the things he liked most about you. "I think the word you're looking for is thank you." He said.

You didn't have the urge to roll your eyes. You quite liked the banter. "Merci, Tony." You scooted a little toward your left, "But seriously, shouldn't you be in there? I mean, it's your fête."

"Nah. Same people, different drama." Tony sat down next to you with a groan, "Like two seconds ago, Barton was flirting with Widow to get Cap jealous and ended up getting punched in the throat by her."

You laughed. To Tony, it sounded as beautiful as the sound of a swift flowing river.

"That's my m-" You stopped abruptly. Tony didn't push it further. The two of you sat there in silence. It was nice. Unbeknownst to either of you, your fingers had found their place, intertwined with the other's.

"You're no French liaison, are you?" Suddenly, out of the blue, Tony asked. You sighed, the twinkle of the stars reflected in your eyes. Maybe it was the exhaustion of everything that had happened, maybe it was the storm of emotions stewing within you or maybe it was Tony's mere presence, whatever reason there might have been, you found yourself incapable of lying.

"I may not be who you think I am, but I am here for good reason." You looked at him and when your eyes met, you held his gaze. "An impending threat overhangs on Captain Rogers' life. These people, they are dangerous and they know what they are doing. A lot hangs in the balance than his future or that of the team. I bear the burden of negating it."

Tony was quiet while you awaited his reply. Finally, he moved closer to you. "You will be the death of me, (Y/N) (L/N)." He ran his thumb over your lower lip. "But oh what a way to go."

With that, he pressed his lips to yours and quickly, it erupted into a passionate kiss.

Above you in the night sky, the stars were shining a tad bit brighter, joyous to see the execution of what they had decreed.