Chapter 20

The jet landed on a thick sheet of ice. A blinding blizzard was raging outside. The chilling air had the capacity to penetrate the skin and jarr the bones.

"Yeah, on second thought, I think I would've preferred staying back at the tower." Clint grit his teeth in an effort to prevent them from chattering.

However, the cold didn't bother you. Just like it wouldn't bother Steve. Clad in your usual attire and a cardigan for mere formality, you were waiting for the bay doors to open.

"Are you sure you don't need anything (Y/N)?" Bruce was concerned, "A coat? Maybe the ability to make prudent decisions?"

You smiled and your face scrunched up with various lines. "Everything is fine, Monsieur le docteur. The cold does not déranger me anymore."

"Okay, Elsa." Tony put his hands on your shoulders and urged you forward, "Get moving." You obliged. After the incident in the hangar,it was comforting to know that he was coming back to his usual self.

You had known the man for two weeks, give or take. It was beyond your understanding as to why he was so upset over you leaving; but then again, it was also beyond your understanding that whenever you tried to imagine your life without him, it was dreadful.

"Before we leave," Natasha stood at the door blocking the way, "We'll need to sign contracts ridding us of all liabilities if you are to catch anything from a common cold to critical pneumonia."

As still as a log, you stood there for three full seconds, until you realised it was a joke. "You jest, Mademoiselle." You said while Tony lifted you by the waist and set you down on the ground.

Natasha tilted her head in a very obvious fashion as she exited the jet after you. "Someone has to."

"That way." Clint pointed to an abandoned warehouse and the team trudged behind him. Clearly, his mind wasn't at peace with his surroundings.

You walked in close vicinity of Natasha in fear of Hydra going after her in a desperate attempt of executing their plan when it would begin to feel like wasted effort due to Steve's absence. Who knew what those looney tunes would do.

The building was eerie, which was pretty much expected. 'There's a stereotype Hydra seriously needs to break.' You joked in your head. You always did that when you were nervous.

"Let's split up." Assessing the poor excuse for a building, Natasha offered. Bruce did a double take. "Seriously? Have you never seen a horror movie?"

Tony's face plate lifted up. This was a moment, he decided, which would be amplified by his facial expression. "Do you want to stay here for four days straight, Banner? Because that is how long it will take if we canvass this place as a group."

"Splitting up it is!" Clint missed cutting off Tony by the tenth of a second.

Taking advantage of the commotion, you slipped away to explore the warehouse by yourself. You figured it would be better if you dealt with the issue alone. That way, there would be less explaining to do.

The stairs creeked under your feet, giving the establishment an additional ominous feel. You halted as you passed a certain room. 'There's someone in there!' Your brain screamed.

Taking a few steps back, you slowly entered the room. A dark figure stood near the window, her back faced towards you. Unaware of what came over you, you decided to leave the room without causing any disturbance, since the mysterious lady seemed yet to notice you.

"Oh, no, don't go." Her voice was calm, calm enough to be sinister. "I have been waiting for you."

A chill ran down your spine. "I think you have me confused with someone else." You deflected, "I'm not with the Avengers. I mean, of course I'm with them but I'm not with them. Do you see...what I mean?"

"(Y/N) (L/N)." She turned around. The silver Hydra pin on her collar stood out against her chestnut brown skin. She looked over your shoulders, as if she were expecting someone with you. "I see your father hasn't arrived."

You narrowed your eyes. The woman seemed unaffected. "It doesn't matter though." She went on, "Our plan is being executed as we speak."

Consumed by rage, you knocked her to the ground. Jabbing your knee in her ribs, you asked, "What is brewing inside that pretty little head of yours? Is my father still in danger?"

You weren't specifically trained for anything, but the super soldier strength more than made up for it. Surprisingly, she didn't fight back either. Instead, she flashed you a bloody smile.

"Answer me!" You hit her again, this time in the jaw. "Don't think this is your fault. This was bound to happen." She whispered, barely having the strength to talk. "No matter what decisions you make or what path you take, you will always end up here."

She crushed something between her teeth and right before your eyes, she began to foam at the mouth. Her body spiralled into a series of painful convulsions. By the time it was over, her lips had turned blue and her body was still. She was dead.