MY GIRL

MY GIRL

Months drudged on and I slowly settled into my new life just in time for the winter. Tonight most of the people from the office were getting together at a dive bar downtown to celebrate the Holidays and I needed to get out of my house.

The bar scene was playing out like any other night. The sickly sweet stench of liquor and stale beer intermingled with the sweaty reek of desperation. A sharp elbow jabbed me in the ribs suddenly and Maddie, a co-worker I'd grown quite fond of, nudged her head towards the door. Simon crept in to our surprise - none of us certain he was old enough to get past the bouncer. Scanning the room, hands awkwardly shoved in the front pocket of his hoodie, Simon's eyes finally met mine and he all but jumped with excitement. Shit. "There's your man, Jenna," Maddie smirked.

"Shut up. He's like ten," I countered.

"Oh come on, he's cute," Bree chimed in.

"Yeah, in a weird serial killer kind of way," I took a long sip of my drink.

It was no secret that for whatever reason, Simon had a crush on me since day one. Though I tried to pass him off to several other eligible office bachelorettes, this one had his sights set and I was the unfortunate one in his crosshairs. Strutting to the table, we all exchanged a brief "hello" with Simon and before I knew it, he'd disappeared into the crowd.

Drinks kept flowing and I was getting increasingly worse at playing pool. The rest of my group were smokers and they were rounding up to take another break. "Watch out for him," Maddie cautioned.

"Why?"

"He's had a lot to drink. I talked to him for a little up at the bar and he keeps staring at you. It's really creepy," Maddie pointed to a dark corner of the bar where Simon was sitting. I'd forgotten he was even here.

I sat inside exchanging awkward glances with other patrons of the bar and stabbed the ice in my empty drink with a straw, too afraid to buy another up at the bar now that I knew that was Simon's post.

From the corner of the bar, I saw Simon stand up. Please don't come over here, please don't. Smiling stupidly, he strolled over to me and began dancing to the music while I grinned uncomfortably and tried looking anywhere but him. Picking up my arms, I yanked them back down. "Stop, Simon," I warned. Ignoring me, he hoisted me off the chair by my waist and began swaying me around like a ragdoll. "Simon, I'm serious. Quit." I looked around in desperation, not knowing what I should do. Handling drunks is a delicate craft.

A man from the pool table next to us observed for a moment and read the nervous look in my eyes before approaching. "Hi, my name is Jack. You doin' okay?" he asked with the hint of a southern drawl.

"Jack off," Simon mumbled, casting him a dirty look that the man didn't notice. Holding his unwavering eyes on mine, I nodded, but this didn't satisfy Jack's concerns. Leaning against his pool stick, Jack began to size Simon up which infuriated him.

"We're good here. You can go," Simon barked - his body tensing.

"I'm talking to the lady, friend," the stranger tensed his jaw.

"I'm okay," I chimed in, "but I do have to use the restroom." I wrestled myself out of Simon's arms and darted for the bathroom.

I took more time than was needed in the bathroom and when I came out everyone was back at the table with Simon nowhere in sight. Passing the man who tried to help, I thanked him quickly with a smile and gentle hand on his shoulder before scurrying over to tell Maddie and Bree what happened. "No!" Maddie gaped.

"Yeah, it was really awkward. I'm gonna go, okay?"

"Okay. I'm sorry he ruined your night. You need a ride or want me to come with you?"

"I'll be fine. Have fun," I hugged everyone and ducked out.

I felt elated once I swung the heavy wooden door open to the crisp night air. To my surprise, my mystery defender ran out behind me. "Hey, you gonna be okay? I don't mind taking you home if you want?" While his jet black hair and lion eyes made the offer tempting, I'd had too much to drink and knew I was capable of very bad decisions.

"Thanks, but I'll be okay," I waved him off with my hand still inside my coat pocket.

"All right, well you be safe!" Jack stood outside and watched me as I walked off.

The aged sidewalk scraped beneath my heels while I walked below the glow of moonlight. The night has ways of amplifying even the smallest of fears. Except this time, my fears were about to be realized.