THE GENTLEMAN

THE GENTLEMAN

Turning onto the main street behind the bar, I saw a shadowy figure pacing in the dimly-lit parking lot just three buildings ahead of me. I crossed the street to avoid getting close, but the person mimicked my action and began to walk towards me. I was at the point of no return.

"Hey Jenna...I'm sorry," Simon ducked into my eyesight when I tried to look away. Some of the street lights were flickering, highlighting the iciness of his blue eyes and then covering them in long shadows. "Let me walk you home. It isn't safe out here." My cheeks grew hot in protest but I knew he wouldn't take no for an answer so I continued to walk without saying anything.

As we began turning onto my street, I stopped. "I think I'll be okay now, Simon. You can go home," I said coldly.

"Come on. Let me at least walk you to your door. I'm a gentleman. I won't feel right unless I do." An eerie feeling took over but I swallowed it down and began walking as fast as I could to get this night over with. To my relief, Simon stopped at the beginning of my driveway and waited while I unlocked the door. I could feel my nerves silence as soon as I felt the familiar give of my lock accepting the key.

Cracking my door open, a warm breath whispered in my ear. "You shouldn't have embarrassed me like that back at the bar."

Simon pushed me through the door before I could react. I tried to save myself from falling by holding onto the end table next to my couch. The strength he had for a man his size was scary; I was completely helpless.

"What the hell are you doing?" I scrambled.

"I know you want me, Jenna."

"No, not really. You need to leave."

Despite my obvious protest, Simon smiled and grabbed me by the waist. "Get off, you're drunk," I pleaded. Holding my face so I couldn't move it, he moved his lips awkwardly over mine. Every movement burned itself deep into my memory. Simon slammed me up against the shutter doors of my linen closet and tore my pants down. Forcing me down onto the floor, the aged carpet felt rough against my skin. My head was wedged uncomfortably between Simon and the doors. Everything about this was wrong.

Simon shoved himself painfully into my un-wanting body. My insides contracted, rejecting him like a virus, but he pushed harder, each thrust more excruciating than the last. Part of me couldn't believe this was really happening. I cried out in agony but Simon seemed to like it. Screaming, Simon stuffed his dirty fingers into my mouth, gagging me until I stopped. It lasted for what seemed like an eternity. What you could call an act this evil was beyond me - a looping eternity of whatever realm occupied the space beneath hell. I sunk inside myself, away from Simon's heavy breathing and degrading remarks - away from this thing that couldn't be happening.

Simon looked down at me with a satisfied grin when he was finished and stepped away like I was his discarded trash. Stopping halfway down the hall, Simon turned, wagging his finger at me. "Now don't you go telling anyone about this, okay? I'd hate to have to kill you," he roamed the naked body he'd just conquered with his eyes, and then he was gone.

I lied on the floor until I heard the door close. Lifting myself up, my insides protested, raw from the assault. My legs shook trying to hold my weight. Hunching over to relieve some of the pain, I began to shuffle slowly to the couch. Inching myself down, I lost my balance and dropped suddenly; a pathetic noise escaped my mouth that I'd never heard before and never wanted to hear again. I closed my eyes.

"Jenna? Jenna?" Someone shook my shoulder but I was too exhausted to respond. "Jenna, it's me, Maddie," my eyes didn't want to open. "Jenna, what happened to you? You're bleeding." Forcing my eyes open into a squint, Maddie's face was full of horror as she looked between my legs, and the couch under me. "I'm calling the cops." I don't know how I mustered the strength, but I grabbed Maddie's arm as she got up and held her in place.

"You can't," I said so quietly it was almost a whisper.

"Bullshit I can't," Maddie pulled out her phone. Grabbing both the phone and her hand at once, I squeezed.

"Simon," was all I managed, but Maddie understood.

"Jenna, something has to be done." I nodded my head and let my eyes close again.

I woke up to someone knocking on my door and panicked. I didn't know what time or day it was and I threw myself to the floor thinking it was Simon. "Jenna!" Maddie yelled from the kitchen and hurried over to me, "it's okay."

Peeking out the window, I saw a Police car parked in front of the house. "I told you not to tell anyone!"

"This is a big deal, Jenna. You're in danger." I knew she was right but fear blurred my common sense. The door sounded again, this time more aggressive.

"Dammit."

Approaching the door, I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the hallway mirror. You look like shit, Jenna. Opening the door, I immediately recognized one of the officers. His yellow-green eyes squinted before speaking, cutting off his partner who was about to talk. "I know you."