A FAVOR

A FAVOR

"Hello?" Jack answered with a stern voice. He probably thought I was calling to find out the latest on Simon.

"Hey Jack. Sorry to bother you again. I was gonna go to the station and request some paperwork today but I thought it would be easier if you grabbed it for me?" I was trying to be as discreet as possible.

"Jenna, there are rules," Jack groaned.

"I know, I know, I just...I'm working on something and I don't want to draw any attention to it. Please?" Jack was silent for several minutes.

"What do you need?"

After I got off work, Jack swung by my house to hand me the goods. "I need that back by next Wednesday. If I don't, I'm gonna have angry admins breathin' up my ass," Jack pressed his lips into a hard line.

"Okay, I promise. Thank you," I smiled and went to grab the folder.

"What'ya need that for anyway?" Jack pulled the folder away before I could take it.

"None of your business. I owe you one," I winked and pressed the door closed on Jack's evil grin.

I waited for Jack to leave before locking myself in my mom's bedroom. Opening the folder, I pulled out the single piece of information I'd asked for: the statement the hiker gave to Bradley on scene the day I found Julia.

Extracting the details I needed, I prepared a backpack to find the place Julia was taken.