S + J

S + J

Standing outside the Henley house, I push the glowing doorbell. Mr. Henley answers and it's a recreation of the day my mom questioned him. My mom stands still and silent while Mr. Henley answers questions though no one is asking them. I see Chad huddled down behind the side table and couch. He looks terrified and he's staring at something off to the side in the hallway as he begins to nod slowly

I couldn't remember what it was like to wake up in the morning and feel normal. I needed two things: strong coffee and a shower to wash off the thick sweat that glazed me.

The hot water cascaded over my body and I lost myself in it, letting tiny streams cleanse my skin. A draft of cold air seeped inside the shower stall. Frantically wiping the water from my eyes, I snapped the curtain open - nothing. Exhausted with my paranoia, I began to shampoo my hair. Another draft curled around me but I ignored it and continued with my shower. Turning around to spin the shower knobs off, I froze in place. The shower curtain was a quarter of the way open. The room was thick with steam and I couldn't see all the way through.

As the steam began to dissipate, my eyes picked up on something strange on the mirror. The words "I see you" and the initials "S + J" were slashed through the steam on the glass, glaring at me - the handwriting was sinister. The mania of it all pushed me down into the tub, trembling uncontrollably as I watched the words slowly disappear. I couldn't handle this anymore. Simon had been here. My skin twitched, remembering all the things he did to me the last time he'd been this close.

* * * *

"That's it, Jenna. Pack your shit, you're staying with me until this gets sorted out." I wanted to object to Bradley's proposal but knew I didn't have that option. This was too much, too far. Hiding in my car, my hair was still damp and I'd thrown on the first articles of clothing I could find. I couldn't go back into that house alone.

"Are you sure, Bradley?" I said, chewing at my thumb nail which I never did.

"Yes. I'm coming with you inside right now so you can pack what you need and then you're gonna follow me to my place."

I was beginning to feel like a bird flitting from place to place with nowhere to truly call home.

Pulling up to Bradley's, I was pleasantly surprised. The yard was well manicured and the various plants and shrubberies collaborated perfectly. Bradley walked over to my passenger's side door and flung it open, grabbing a couple plastic bags I'd filled up with clothes. "You coming, or what?" he smiled.

"What's your name again?" I laughed but there was some truth in my apprehensiveness. Bradley had been a complete stranger not too long ago, but he had a bed to offer as well as his protection.

Bradley showed me to the guest room before leaving to let me unpack in privacy. I just couldn't stay put, and not because of my own doing. All these outside forces kept knocking me around and I just wanted to be still. The inside of Bradley's home was nice but neglected; a place you could tell wasn't occupied regularly. I couldn't believe I was living with someone a small part of me still believed could be hiding something.

After spending all of ten minutes unpacking, I roamed the halls of Bradley's home. Two bedrooms had been properly scrutinized and I was just about to look through the third but the door was locked. "My office," Bradley appeared suddenly behind me. "I don't have time to get everything done at work so I do a lot of stuff here. Confidential stuff, that's why the door's locked."

"Man, you get paid overtime?" I joked.

"A Salary Man's dream. Come on, I'll make us something to eat," Bradley smiled, trailing off to the kitchen.