LIPSTICK

LIPSTICK

Simon was trying to get a rise out of me but I wasn’t buying into it.  Digging through my makeup bag for the fifth time, I couldn't find the familiar gold tube of my favorite lipstick.  After dumping the entire contents of my bag onto the counter, I remembered using it in my car before walking into the bar that night.  It had been months since I'd wanted to wear lipstick, but today I had a date with Bradley that didn’t entail an interview, at least not that he was aware of.  I still wasn’t satisfied with some of Bradley’s answers.  I’d have to get on his good side if I wanted to get anything out of him.  

As soon as I opened the door to run outside and grab my purse, the sun leapt onto my skin.  I stood there, basking in the warmth and remembered Charlie trotting through the yard.  Turning my gaze towards my car, I began to tremble.  Red writing covered all my car windows.  Aldbrook whore, bitch, narc, slut, all horrible things, but my spine began to tingle at the foreboding words I'll get you.  Next to my driver’s side door, my lipstick sat melting into a pile of broken glass that had fallen from the door’s window.  I looked around for any signs of Simon and then ran inside to call Bradley.

When Bradley came over, Jack was right behind him and I immediately felt guilty – I didn’t want to make this a big scene.  “What happened?” Jack hurried out of his truck.  Bradley eyed Jack with an expression I couldn’t translate as he walked up behind him, trying to catch up.

“I was just getting ready and I came out here to get my lipstick,” I looked at Bradley bashfully.

“So the lipstick was in the car?” Jack paced around the car’s perimeter.

“Yes.  Hang on, you two know each other?”

“Well, we are cops in the same town.  I called Jack over since he’s been helping you with the whole Simon ordeal,” Bradley answered.

“How’d you know about that?” I looked down.

“We’re cops…in the same town,” Bradley said dryly.

“He didn’t come into the house?  Are you sure?”  Jack crouched by the broken glass, ignoring the banter between Bradley and me.

“I’m not really sure of anything anymore.  I don’t think he did, no.” 

“We’ll get patrol cars to run by here more often.  I’m gonna head back to the office and see what I can do.”

“I’m pretty sure he’s been sending messages to my work e-mail.”

“Send them to me.  I’ll see if we can trace it back to a computer,” Jack waved as he stood up and walked to his car.

“This is getting bad, Jenna.  You sure you don’t wanna stay somewhere else?  This guy is messed up,” Bradley inched closer to me.

“I’m not gonna pretend I’m not scared but I don’t want to load my problems onto other people.”

“Let’s get out of here,” Bradley smiled. 

On paper Bradley looked like a good match for me, but that was just it – I didn’t want good, I wanted madness and obsession.