LION EYES

LION EYES

"Yes, come in," I offered, finally. The two entered my house carefully, scanning everything, evaluating me.

"I'm Officer Garrison, and this is Officer -"

"Jack. We met last night," I interrupted.

"Officer Harris," Garrison continued with the introduction as if I hadn't said anything. "We were called here about a possible rape, ma'am?"

I took my place on the couch next to Maddie and extended my arm towards the opposing couch for the men to sit, which they did. I was too tired for formalities.

"My friend called. I didn't want her to but I guess I'm glad she did." I didn't sound like myself, I sounded small.

"Was it the guy you were with last night?" Jack skipped to the point.

"Yes."

"Dammit. I knew it!" Jack shook his head.

"Ms. Pierce, do you wish to see a Doctor? Do you consent to us taking samples?" Officer Garrison spoke. His very presence annoyed me.

"No. I just...I never want to see Simon again."

The cops looked at each other grimly before Jack spoke, "Ms. Pierce, I'm afraid all we can do is have you sign a restraining order if you refuse to be examined." Examined, the word sickened me.

"Yes, I refuse to be examined. Give me the damn paper to sign then if that's the only thing you can do for me."

"Do you have anyone you can stay with for a while? Family, your friend here?" Jack continued delicately.

"I'm not the sleepover kinda girl. I'll take my chances."