twenty // 118 lbs

and it felt like her lungs were filling up with water so she sat back and let herself drown.

***

"So she's mad at you?" Max asked as the two of us walked up the stairs together.

We had walked to lunch without Auburn this time, since she hasn't talked to me at all and was still nowhere to be found.

"I guess. She started avoiding me in first period. I haven't even seen her since then," I frowned, continuing, "I just don't know what I did..."

Max nodded as he listened, walking slightly ahead of me to grab the door for us both.

"She'll talk to you again, Daisy," Max said as we walked into the cafeteria, making our way over to our usual table.

Lindsay, Rachel and Auburn were sat across from the empty seats where Max and I were sitting. The three of them looked up at us as we grew closer.

"I have to use the bathroom. Come with me," Auburn said once we stood over them, nudging Lindsay.

Lindsay nodded and stood up with Auburn, Rachel automatically standing up also. Auburn didn't look at me, walking off with the other girls. I frowned, hesitantly taking a seat beside Max.

I huffed in annoyance, rubbing my now throbbing temple. "Yeah, we see how her talking to me worked out."

***

"Auburn!" I called, jogging through the double doors to catch up with her.

She was a few people in front of me, blonde hair swaying as she confidently walked. It was obvious that she heard me by the way she started to turn around, but then realized it was me and hurried her pace. Weaving in and out between people, I finally caught up to her, grabbing her bag to stop her.

"Can you get off?" she swatted my hand away, blue eyes darkened in anger.

I was at a loss of words from her tone, trying to figure out what to say now. "I –"

"What do you want? I haven't talked to you for a reason, so leave me alone," Auburn turned, storming off.

Her outburst had left me frozen in shock, but I quickly regained myself and walked off towards where Ashton would be waiting for me, fighting off the urge to cry.

***

I didn't dare cry until I was home and could lock myself away in my bathroom. Why did Auburn talk to me like that? Why was she so upset? What did I do.

Now back in my room, my phone went off with a facetime request from Max. Wiping my face free of tears, I answered, my heart swelling with happiness just as seeing him.

"I tried talking to Auburn," I told him after we had been talking for about five minutes.

"Really? What happened?"

"She told me to leave her alone. I just really want to know what's upsetting her so much..." I trailed off, letting out a sigh.

"I could try talking to her?"

"Really?" I eagerly smiled.

"Yeah. I –" Max was interrupted by the distant sound of someone calling his name. "I have to go. I'll call you back later?"