thirty four // 114.2 lbs

and i was so sure,
that the three digit number
on that damn scale was
no longer my weight,
no longer my driving point,
self-worth, happiness or sadness,
but the amount of times
my demons entered my mind
and tainted my thoughts

~ yours truly

***

L U K E

After sitting in the living room for ten minutes, suffocating over the thick tension hanging in the air, I finally pushed myself up off the couch. Standing in front of Michael, Ashton, and Evie I awkwardly cleared my throat.

"I'll be in my room if anyone needs me," I declared, then turned and walked out the living room without another word. Once up the stairs, I found myself letting out a grateful sigh, for I had escaped the toxic atmosphere.

Walking towards my room, I suddenly paused mid-step upon hearing crying. My heart skipped a beat, shivers running up my spine as I listened. It was obviously Daisy, her being the only other person upstairs, but it wasn't coming from her bedroom, since the door was open and the light off.

Looking over to the bathroom door I noticed the light peeking through the crack at the bottom, and taking small, quiet steps towards it I held my breath.

My mouth opened and closed, the need to ask if she was okay evident, but the want to stay quiet in fear of something I didn't know won. She let out one last sniff, before opening the door, swollen red eyes widening upon seeing me.

Her wavy brown hair, usually shimmering and hanging in just the right way, now was disheveled and carelessly thrown over to one side. Another thing I had noticed was her pale face, skin rosy from crying and tears staining her cheeks.

"S-Sorry, you can use the bathroom now," she said quietly, eyes diverting to the floor as she stepped to the side.

"Wait," I called. "Can we talk?"

"Uh, sure," Daisy hesitantly stepped into her room, looking over her shoulder to make sure I was following.

"My room," I instructed, turning away and walking over to my closed bedroom door.

Daisy followed me, wincing when I closed the door behind us. She slowly sat on my bed, eyes wandering around my room.

"I like your room," her small voice broke the silence.

"Thanks," I padded over and sat next to her, bringing my legs up onto the bed and crossing them.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

"I think I should be the one to ask you that..."

Daisy looked away, staring down at the carpet as she played with a lock of her own thick brown hair. She shrugged.

"Does Ashton ever..." Daisy hesitated, like she was searching for the right words.

"Ever what?" I touched her arm, frowning when she visibly tensed up at the sudden movement.

"Does Ashton ever, um, talk about me to you?" she asked, taking in a sharp inhale. "I mean, like, complain about me? Does he say I'm too much work? Or–"