63. Homesick

October 13th 2015, New York

"I can't believe your vocals in this one!" Jack squealed as I pressed the stop button. We were, indeed, in Caleb's recording studio and I had let Jack listen to some of the songs I had recorded in past two months because I needed his help. From August on, I had obviously only focused on writing and producing music since I didn't go back on tour so I had plenty of songs. The problem was that I loved them all like a mother loves her kid but my label had just started putting pressure on me: they wanted a possible track list for the album because time was running out. It had to be ready for its release before November 20th and, even if it was a month away, I really didn't know how I would choose. 

Other than that, live had been pretty sweet to me in throughout those months. Obviously the first weeks without the boys, without being on stage every night and seeing everyone, had been pretty difficult, but, after Jack put some sense in me (aka dragged me out of bed and made me realize how stupid I was to waste my life on a stupid boy), I had been able to find the peace of mind that Harry had stolen. I started feeling like myself again. I didn't know what Harry was up to, nor how he was. I avoided magazines and any kind of social medias, especially Twitter (aka the worst platform you'll ever find if you want to stay out of the drama). On the contrary, I had kept in touch with the other boys, especially with Louis and Niall, so I knew how they were and what they were doing pretty much every day. They had announced a hiatus like they had previously discussed. Louis had confirmed to the world that he was going to be a father (yes, he had really gotten a girl pregnant like Harry had said that night). People were starting to talk about a possible fight between Louis and Harry... and, honestly, as Louis filled me in about this stuff, I was really happy to finally be out of the One Direction dramas.

"Jade" Pat entered the studio, "I know this is going to sound very weird... but Simon sent us this amazing demo today... and the writer wants to stay anonymous... at least for now... but Simon said that he - or she - has specifically requested you to be the voice"  

"Play it to me" I shrugged, looking confused at Jack who looked more excited than weirded out

"Wait, that's not it..." he said, "the craziest things is that the song is supposed to be a duet and... guess who's the male voice in it?" 

"Who?" I raised an eyebrow

"Chris Martin!" he yelled

"What the hell?" I squealed, "are you kidding me?"

"WHAT?" Jack squealed with me, "play it, c'mon" I said, so Pat plugged the USB drive and pressed the button. A simple melody played on a piano started playing before a girl started singing, 

"I'm running and I'm crawling, fighting for you... When the rain stops, then, darling, what will I do? And I know I go all in, but why do I?"

"You give me a reason, something to believe in... I know, I know, I know... You give me a meaning, something I can breathe in... I know, I know, I know... It's a bittersweet feeling, longing, and I'm leaving... I go, I go, I go... But I wish I was there with you, oh, I wish I was there with you"

"There's a crack in my window, a bird in my room... Angels all over that watch over you... When I'm walking on water, all my dreams have come true... Still, nothing means nothing without you, you" the girl and Christ freaking Martin harmonized before singing the chorus twice again. 

"I love it" I could feel some tears forming at the corner of my eyes for some weird reason and tried to keep them, "are you sure it's for me?" 

"One hundred percent sure" he nodded, "I know it's weird... but I think it'd suit your voice perfectly"

"I'll record it now" I said, feeling confident, "it's just... beautiful"