•Chapter 3: The Light•

I reread the simple line on the paper and put it down. "That was odd." I think to myself. "Let's get this cleaned up before I hit the road." Chris says, taking each plate to the kitchen. We all begin to throw away any garbage in the trash and I begin on the dishes.

"Hey," says Alice bumping my hip with hers. "Hey you!" I say trying to keep my black hair away from my face. "Do you want some help? Ya know... with the whole Henry thing?" She suggested, plopping herself on the kitchen counter. I readjust my blue gloves and continue scrubbing. "Hm, I guess that's a no, huh?" "
"Alice, I feel like I don't need help to get a guy." I pledged. "Okay okay... whatever you say." She says, hopping off and scooting towards the staircase. I let out a huff and continue to clean the fork I have in my hands.
As I'm scrubbing I can hear Alice talking. It was probably with Chris, she always makes sure he gets home safely. An idea popped into my head, "Rocky!" I project my voice to the front of the house. The jingle of his collar tells me he's on his way. I crouch down, "Rocky, I need you to find Aunt Alice. Can you do that for me? Auntie Alice!" Rocky looks around and sprits up to the stairs. The sound he gives off tells me that he has run through the whole house. He comes back to me.

I tilt my head and decide to do a search of my own. "Alice? Darling, which room are you in?" I make my way up the stairs. The silence of the house wears on me like a heavy coat. I start to see the top floor and an eerie light come from under one door. A ginormous window gives a glimpse of the outside. The big oak tree planted in the back yard fills in the night scenery. I continue to pace towards the door. My heart starts to feel heavy in my chest as I begin to breathe quicker. Alice's voice had stopped as soon as I reached the last step. My throat begins to get tighter and my mouth begs for water as it becomes dry.

My hand touches the door knob and the telephone gives off a loud rattle. I let out a yelp and look around for the phone. The isolated noise comes from down stairs. I quickly rushed to the bottom of the stairs completely putting the eerie door to the back of my mind. "Hello!" I gasped, trying to catch my breath. I wiped my sweaty hands on the apron tied around my waist.

"Hey! Great to hear your voice again."
I recognized that husky voice from this morning.
"Henry?! Hey, how are you?"
"I'm doing fine, how are you?"
"Quite rattled if you ask me." I say looking up to the top of the stairs.
"Um, I wasn't expecting your call. Is there something wrong?" I question.
"Really? Uh, no actually Alice told me that you wanted to meet with me."
I put the phone to my chest and let out a sigh of relief. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. I hope it's not a bother." I say feeling the blood rush to my face. "Thank goodness he can't see my face." I think while trying to fan myself with my quivering hand.
"Not at all, actually if you didn't call I was probably going to do it for you." He says letting out a chuckle. "Is tomorrow evening good for you?"
I place my back against the wall and swallow hard, "Oh yes... well of course."
"Great, don't worry I'll pick you up. Alright?"
"Yeah I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding the house." I snicker. We say our goodbyes and I place the phone down. "Holy hell..." I say sitting down on the floor, "I'm gonna kill Alice." I bury my face into my hands and Rocky places his head on my feet.

I suddenly sit up and make my way up the stairs again, "Alice! Do you understand how embarrassed I am right now?" I say knocking on the door. "Alice..." I turn the door knob but it won't budge. "Hey!" I bang on the door with my fist. The thought hits me that the doors have keys. I look over the railing down to the keys, which sit on top of some stacked boxes. "Damn it!" I barked, banging the railing. I make my way down the stairs and the phone blares once more. I stop dead in my tracks. Now that there is no movement, the phones ring seems to fill every crevice in the house. I pick up the phone.

"Hello?"
"Hey doll! I'm sorry I took so long, Chris is driving me back right now."
"Alice?!"
"Yeah love, what's wrong?"
"No no it- it can't be. The room?!" I wailed, "You were in the room! I heard you from downstairs!"
"Honey, I left with Chris right after I finished talking with you. He has some of our things and I had to make sure we packed all of them."
I suddenly can't breathe. I run my fingers countless times through my hair. "Please, please just hurry." I say slamming the phone down.
I suddenly lose control of my body and I begin to shake. My whole body went cold as if I had not one ounce of warm blood left in it. I shiver and my teeth begin to clank.
Rocky starts to whimper at the sight of my sudden change in body language. I shuffle my feet to the corner of the room. "Ella," I make kissing sounds, "Ella darling!" I wanted to make sure she was in sight. She comes from the kitchen and makes her way to me. I crouch in the corner and try to control my shaking.
It's seemed like minutes had turned to hours and I finally heard the turn of the key lock.
"Scarlett?" Alice's voice was laced with worry. She turns to see me in the corner and hurries. "What is it? What's wrong?!" She says holding my hands. My voice comes out tremulous. "Alice- I swear. I heard you upstairs. The light in the room- The light!" I exclaim. Grabbing her arm and the keys, I lead her to the stairs. "There was this light coming from the room... and I felt like there was someone there." I say midway across the stairs. I finally reach the last step.

"Alice look-" My eyes wonder around the rooms, trying to find the source of light that made my blood run cold. It wasn't there. None of the rooms where turned on. "Scarlett? You're positive that you saw a light...?" "Alice, I swear. Look I was about to talk to you and then Henry called so I-"
"Oh, so he did call you." She said with wide grin.
"Yeah he did. And I didn't like it one bit! I told you to stay out of it." I turn from her. "True but... ugh Scarlett! I knew you would've never called him! And I also knew that this is something you can't pass by." She says following me down the stairs again. "It's fine..." I say still focusing on the strange case of the door. "Look I'm sorry, I know you wanted to help. I guess I'm...," I let out a sigh, "tired."

"You're right. We can unpack tomorrow, let's run you a warm bath and get you on your way."
"Ugh, these stairs are getting old." I say shrugging.
We reach the top and Alice continues to have her hands on my shoulders.
"Alright ! Choose a room!"

My eyes trace the old door in which the incident occurred, the second door on the left.

"I want the first door on the right." I say
"Ok love, I'll take the one right next to you then." She says directing me towards my newly chosen room.