The Hitchhiking Woman

Tom had just left a party and was driving down a dark road all by himself. It was about 12:30 at night and pouring down rain. He had only driven about 2 miles when he saw this faint figure walking on the side of the road. As he got closer he realized it was a young lady and she was wearing a long white dress. He pulled over and asked her if she would like a ride. She said she would and she hoped in the front seat. He noticed she was shivering from the rain so he took off his jacket and offered it to her. She draped the jacket over her shoulders and they started to talk about nothing in particular.

When Tom pulled up to her house he turned to her to ask her something but she was gone. Puzzled, he thought maybe she had already ran into her house. The following day Tom realized the girl had left in such a rush that she forgot to give him back his jacket. He remembered where her house was and drove there since he did not have a phone number to call.

He knocked on the door and an older woman answered. Tom told her he was there to pick up his jacket that her daughter had from the night before. The woman looked at him strangely and told him he must have the wrong house. The man was sure this was the right place he dropped off the girl so he began to describe her and what she was wearing. The old lady was shaken and begin to cry. She explained that her only daughter died 10 years ago on Prom night and that the man had described her exactly. She said her daughter was buried up the road at Meadow Wood Cemetery.

After Tom left the old lady's house he decided to go find the girls grave. There, laying on her headstone, was his jacket.