𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

the beginning

In 2022, humanity finally created a complete virtual environment...

Viola's POV:

I was sat in my room as usual, my mother was at work as usual. I dropped out of school when I was 14, as it wasn't challenging me, that was three years ago, I'm now 17 and I've become a gamer. 

I was luckily chosen to be a beta tester for the newest and biggest game this year, Sword Art Online. there were only 1,000 beta testers and only 10,000 hardback copies. when testing it I kept to myself, checking if everything works as we were told, but I also got to floors higher than the other betas to be exact I got to floor 93 before I got stuck. 

I was sat in my room watching MMO's stream from my computer while I had my NerveGear on my bed.

"Its time for this weeks MMO stream. Began with a promotional video. Was this the day of last week's launch? What were all these people waiting for? Sword Art Online." The woman producing the MMO stream said, I glanced at the live chat before looking back seeing it showing a picture of people holding the game. 

"Those people at the front of the line waited for three days prior to launch. Amazing! Or is this just what any real gamer would do?" She exclaimed and I scoffed before glancing at my desk which had a magazine open on a page with Akihiko Kayaba's picture on it with a bunch of information on him.

I glanced back to the screen. "We'll be covering the internationally famous Sword Art Online, aka SAO! To be honest, none of the NerveGear software released so far has really taken advantage of the hardware. Yeah, it all sucked. But SAO was made by the NerveGear inventor Akihiko Kayaba, and its long-awaited VRMMORPG." The woman continued as I stood up sighing. 

"I cant wait! the beta testers all said it was incredible." She said and I once again scoffed. 

'That's because it was...' I thought while stretching my arms above my head. 

"I wanted a copy... only 10,000 copies were sold in its first printing. It sold out online in seconds. And as you saw, hard-core fans bought all the store copies." I find this woman's voice annoying but I find the information she's spewing helpful in someway.

I turned to the clock and saw it read '2202/11/06 Sun 12:55:58' I sighed and ran a hand through my raven hair. 

'Mother wont be home until late at night...' I thought as I plugged in my NerveGear and put it on laying on my bed, I closed my eyes before saying. "link start!" Which started up my NerveGear, my surrounding turned white before a bunch of different coloured cylinders started flying towards me.