Chapter 6: King X Diane

HEAVEN AND HELL

Diane's POV

The fairy, Helbram, continued to pull me towards our destination while I was still floating on air.
"Please let me go. You've got it all wrong. I was never meant to be here. It was just a joke." I kept on reasoning.
"The Fairy Queen bride is no joke. The records showed that a female will come and take on the position as our Queen. Wether you are willing to or not. I am sorry my Queen but rules and rules. If I were to advice you normally, you should not have did this joke...in the first place."

My mouth hanged open. This can't be happening. "How was I supposed to know that the Hangman's tree was real???!!!"
"Do the humans in the other realm call the tree by that name? Silly humans." Helbram laughed.
"Out of everything I said, that was the only thing you heard?!" If only I could strangle him at this moment.
"I only respond to words that interests me, My Queen. This 'Hangman's Tree' you speak of is laughable. In the Fairy realm, it is called the FAIRY KING TREE. Such a majestic plant sprouting in this world to spread joy, nature, and life." Helbram explained.

I could care less about what this tree is. I just want to get out of here. Maybe I can get the information of the exit out of him. "So, if this is the Fairy King Tree, then why is it called the Hangman's Tree in the human realm?" I hope I asked the right question.
"I have no idea of the actual history, My Queen. But in my opinion, The Fairy King tree is what lies beneath the Hangman's tree." I don't get it. "See those roots growing farther up the sky?"

I looked up to see what he was talking about. He was right. I can see branches of this tree growing farther away from it's usual height. Too bad I couldn't see more of it since the clouds were blocking my view. "Do you mean that.....The Hangman's tree, is just the tip of the Fairy King's branches? Are you saying that this whole forest is buried underneath the cemetery?!" What kind of sorcery is this?

"If I put it to laymans word, then yes." He shrugged.
"What's next? That the soul of the people who die come here, turn into fairies and live happily ever after?" I hope he got my sarcasm.
"You are very funny, My Queen. But what you said is partly true." we got closer to a branch that was shaped like an arch. From the pink leaves of the forest turns into a neon white color as we entered a new version of the Fairy King's Tree. The place looked like a swamp but a very beautiful swamp filled with neon leaves and lights.

"wow...." on the sides, I could see fairies but...they don't look like fairies. Well they are but their wings are so small. Some have medium sized, and the others had large ones. "Where are we?"

"I believe what you humans call it as....Purgatory." says Helbram. We passed by a group of these flightless fairies. They made a path for us. None of them showed any signs of being in a party mood. If I was too be married to their King, why are they not celebrating? Not that I want to get married. I'm just curious.

"Humans who bury their dead relatives must undergo Purgatory. Here, the souls come to be purified. If they pass their test and atone for their sins, these souls will have wings sprouting from their backs. The more they are purified, the bigger the fairy wings. Once the wings are healthy enough, the soul shall fly up and finally make its way to heaven. The only exit here is to fly up. If the souls with childish wings do so, it's either they succeed because of their early blooming or fall to try again." This was amazing. The revelation that dropped on me was unbelievable. I'm in Purgatory. The bridge between life and death!

"Wait...what happens to the souls who can't sprout wings.." there must be a bad side unto this.
"As terrifying as it seems, those souls will go to hell." Helbram's voice was dark.
"H...Hell?" on cue, the swamp rumbled. Helbram paid no attention to his surroundings, but I did. Right behind me came a demon. A rift was made in mid air. The demon came out and grabbed a fairy.....who didn't have wings....at all.

"Please..no! I'll be good!...I promise!" yelled the poor soul who was dragged into hell. I covered my mouth to stop the scream. How can such a safe haven like this have such an ugly side?

"We don't mind the demons coming out unexpectedly. It's their job to punish the sinners who could not grow wings. We have no say in their job. Almost everyday, a soul is to be dragged to hell and there is nothing we can do about it." Helbram sounded sad. Who wouldn't be when you finally know how heaven and hell work?

Okay, now I really want to be good. I do not want to end up like that. "Enough of the dark twisted reality of Purgatory, you should be happy, My Queen. You are about to marry our King!" Is he bipolar or something?

I shouldn't be distracting myself. I need to get out of here. C'mon Diane..think...think...think. I got it! This question just popped out of my mind. I can't believe I didn't think about this the moment I got here. My body turned pale upon realizing my situation. "Umm, Helbram...am...am...I dead?"
"Technically yes.....but also No." was his reply.
"What do you mean?"
"Right now, both your body and soul have entered Purgatory. You can be both a living soul and a human. If you are scared of ending up like these souls My Queen, then you need not to worry. Once you are crowned as Queen, you will be the catalyst of Holiness. Even if you die, you can not go to hell. So no need to be scared. The King would never do that to his bride....and his lover." he smiled happily.

Now that's a huge benefit. Wait, I'm getting distracted again! "Umm...I was just wondering...What happens after I marry the Fairy King?" please tell me he is gonna let me leave. Please tell me he is gonna let me go. Let me come back to life.
"You'll be Queen. Ruler of Purgatory. As an added bonus, You will grow wings as well." Wings......I..I might fly home. Helbram did say that the only exit is up.

I need to get myself wings.....but without having to marry their King. What am I gonna do? Maybe these fairies have spells that can give me a pair. "We're finally here, My Queen."

I was so lost in thought that I didn't know that we had crossed another branch arch. My eyes tried to adjust to the blinding light. Out of the light was a view that even money can't buy. "Oh...wow...." In front of me was a beautiful tree house. No.....the structure was amazing like...like a spider web in a horizontal position.

The branches and vines hanged everywhere. Cherry blossoms grew on the bushes. There were acorn caps in the shape of chairs being equally arranged on the front. Everything was decorated in an elegant pink, white, and purple color scheme. Hundreds of fairies floated around the venue dressed in the most creative outfits ever to be sewed.

Helbram finally put me down the ground. I kind of enjoyed floating but the ground was much better. "Beautiful isn't it, My Queen?" as Helbram said that, the fairies at the venue turned their attention to us.

"It's her!"

"The Queen is here!"

"She is so gorgeous!"

"Our Queen has finally come!"

Cheers of the fairies erupted at the venue. "They are all here to witness you and our King's hand in marriage." So many fairies....I don't see a tinge of sadness or doubt in their eyes. They're really glad to see me?

Helbram snapped his fingers. My body floated once again. He ushered me to the altar where a fairy priest was waiting.

"Helbram,I honor you my friend. You did a wonderful job bringing our Queen to us." the Priest bowed.
"It was for the good of our people, Father." Helbram also bowed. He started floating away.

"Wait..where are you going?!" I yelled.
"To my designated seat. The wedding is about to start, My Queen."

"I told you..I'm not your Queen...and I'm not marrying your King!" I screamed. It was too late. The sound of wedding trumpets was being played.

All the fairies stood up from their assigned seats. They all looked at the back to see the man standing at the end of the isle. Funny how the groom is the one who walks down the red carpet instead of the bride. I couldn't see his face clearly but I know he was there...floating above the ground.

"May I present, his Royal Highness.....................Fairy King ....Gloxinia!"