Chapter 3

Karine picked up the samples, and Ledward was spinning around and smoking a cigarette. He would rather go with the rest of the group and discover the source, but he didn't want to discuss with the captain. Looking around a little he came to the conclusion, that the planet looks really beautiful. It would be nice to spend the rest of his life here. Slowly discover and get to know it, become part of local history.

He threw the cigarette to the ground and strangled it with his shoe, but at once, he thought it was at least irresponsible and conceited from him already on the first day, to scatter the garbage on the new planet. He pulled out a foil bag to collect samples, threw a cigarette into it and put it in his pocket.

"Ledward?" he heard a faint voice of Karine.

"I'm coming, I'm coming. What's up?" from a distance, he saw that nothing good. Karine, pale as the wall, was leaning against the tree trunk. - Karine ?! Everything alright?

"Not quite ... I'm a little weak." she slid down on the trunk. Ledward held her up and let her arm on his shoulders.

"We go back to the lander."

"But the equipment ..." Karine as usual was worried about everything, but not about herself.

"Later I'll go back for it. Can you walk? If not so, I can carry you."

"I can handle."

While leaning back at Ledward, Karine slowly moved her legs. The man decided to let the rest of the crew know what was going on.

"Hey Oram, it's Ledward! I take Karine at the lander, she is not feeling well..."

"What do you mean by saying that she is not feeling well?" Oram asked with anxiety in his voice.

"She felt bad. I don't not knowwhat it is exactly, but it looks bad, maybe it's better if you come back too."

"Copy. We will be back soon."

When Ledward reached the lander it began getting dark. Karine grew weaker and weaker. The last few meters he had to carry her, because she lost all strenght in her legs.

"Faris!" Ledward screamed as he was close enough to the lander. He had tried to connect to her earlier but she hadn't answered. "Something happened with Karine! Come here and help me."

Faris emerged from beneath the chassis at the right moment to see Karine vomiting blood on him. It looked really scary, Faris stood up and Ledward had to deal with the captain's wife himself. He took her to the isolation ward and laid on the operating table.

"Faris, come here, now!" he shouted, not knowing what to do next. He was so frightened and completely confused. Karine vomited up again and shuddered from the table to the floor.

"Faris, where the fuck are you ?!"

"Give her a shot." the woman finally appeared. "This yellow to begin with."

Karine got very strong convulsions. Faris pulled her sweatshirt and she had to hold her, then Ledward took the injection. The convulsions stopped for a moment, but they returned with redoubled force, and Karine began to scream as if in agony. Faris noticed that her t-shirt on her back was soaked with blood. She pulled it to see what caused the wound, and her heart was frozen in horror. It seemed as through Karine's back something was trying to get out.

"Wait here with her. I'll come in a moment." she said calmly. Ledward just nodded, he did not notice what Faris saw, because he was trying to find some effective remedy for the suffering Karine.

Faris came out of the isolation wardt and quickly closed the automatic door behind her. Only then did Ledward look up.

"Faris? "but she was gone. Ledward approached the door, the opening button was on the other side. "Faris, what the fuck are you doing ?!"