Chapter 8

First David felt he could move his arms and legs. It was difficult, as if he was going through some dense substance, but it worked. Slowly he opened his eyes, but there was still darkness all around, and that familiar voice whispering from a distance.

'David? Are you there?'

Still he couldn't say a word, but he felt his mouth were moving.

'You did not close the optical circuit, Lawrence.' said some other voice.

David blinked several times, and the darkness began to melt away replaced by bright light.

'Okay, done. But why he can't speak?'

'The internal voice-box was damaged...'

'I know! I fixed it of course. David, do you hear me?'

When his eyes caught the sharpness, he saw two faces bending over him. One was worried and the other one just little curious.

'Yes, I can hear you perfectly, miss.' he said finally, looking at that worried face. It belong to young woman, and David assumed that the familiar voice also belongs to her. He felt that this person meant something to him, but he could not remember anything more.

'Miss?' Lawrence was astonish. 'Don't you remember me?'

'I'm not entirely sure, miss.' he rose to sitting position.

'Do you remember anything? Who you are or what you did?'

'My name is David. I am highly advanced artificial companion created by Weyland Industries...'

'He restarted himself.' sighed Walter, interrupting David's speech.

'I can see... Is there anything I could do, to ... you know... restore his memory?' asked Lawrence, biting her lip and looking at David's fake, gentle smile.

'I do not want to give you false hope. There is no... technical way, but you sould try. It can be like with people who have amnesia. Maybe show him some photos or tell him about your common memories. But remember, he stays there at all the time. When you are leaving, you must lock the door...'

'Yes, yes. I know Walter...'

'Excuese me, miss. May I ask who are you?' said David. 'You look very familiar to me, but I can not remember your name.'

'Oh. You say I look familiar, that's a good sign. I'm Lawrence... you gave me that name, and also raised me... In some way I am your doughter.'

'I beg your pardon, miss, but you must be mistaken.' David shook his head. 'Syntetics can not have a child.'

'Not biological doughter, but I am your adopted doughter of course. Peter Weyland was my grandpa... do you remember him?'

'Weyland Industries is the name of the company which create me...'

Lawrence sighed hevily. 'It's going to be harder than I thought.'

And indeed, it was.

♡♡♡

Walter was checking Daniels cryotube, again that day. Then he checked all the others tubes and embrions. When he finished his job, he go to the canteen to prepare dinner for Lawrence and after couple of minutes she came in, quite excited.

'Walter, something wonderful happened!' she was yelling from the doorstep, didn't even say hello. 'Today, when I came to the lab, I saw David dyied his hair blonde!' Walter frowned at that.

'So, what? Is it really so exciting? I would say it's creepy.'

'Oh, you don't understand! He used to do so when we lived on Earth, so he looked like T.E. Lawrence, or rather Peter O'Toole playing him.'