Chapter 6

Lawrence heard that just before death, whole life is running through one's eyes, but she thought it was crap, especially when death is fast. Sometimes it happens so fast, a man would not even be able to realize that he or she is dying. However, she was not right. When the xenomorph leaned over her, there came the memories of happiest days in her life - early childhood. Maybe not images, but sounds, especially David's voice, calling her from distance. She closed her eyes ready for a deadly strike, but it came from a completely different side than she expected, it wasn't strong either, actually it was not painful at all. Something wrenched aside her, she heard a strange metallic sound, then the roar of the xenomorph. She opened her eyes and saw the creature running away in panic, leaving behind a torn pieces of a robot.

“David!” Lawrence groaned, leaning closer to him. So it was not memories coming back to her, but David really called her. He saved her, protected from this creature, but he was seriously injured. He had a ripped leg and a huge hole in his corpse. White liquid from his body covered the floor.

“Everything is alright?” he asked as if it was she who lay sprawled in front of him.

“With me yes, but you ... Thank you for saving my life, now I will help you.” she wanted to get up and look for something with she could move him, but he grabbed her by the arm and held tight.

“No, Lawrence. There is no time, run away, I stay.”

“You're kidding me! I will not leave you, David. These are defects that can be repaired. I will take you on board.”

“Lawrence ... you know they will not let you take me on that ship. And I realized that I did not want to leave this planet at all. Walter is right, I am damaged, I can not stay with people because I have become a threat to them.”

“Do not talk silly, you just saved my life!”

David reached down to her cheek, smiling tenderly, and Lawrence hugged her face into his hand.

“I saved the only life that is more valuable to me than my own. I love you Lawrence, you're the greatest child anyone can have. I am proud of you and I know that despite all the odds, you will manage and you will be happy again. Forgive me that you had to see what-what I became ...” he reached into his pocket, pulled out something from it, and handed to Lawrence with this words. “If I can ask you anything, it's just to remember me the way I was … then.” Lawrence looked at what he gave her, it was a worn-out, strap bracelet that she had made for him when they were in Africa.

“David ... “ she was not able to say anything else.

“Lawrence.” he smiled again at her, then quickly pulled one of the cables out of his torn corpse.

“No!” Lawrence scream, realized that this cable was deactivating one. “No! No!” she screamed, hugging his damaged body, but David was no longer with her.

♡♡♡

Daniels heard the scream as she threw out the light-emitting device to the center of the square.

“What was that?” she asked Walter.

“Lawrence.” he replied. They looked at each other and understood without words they rushed to the temple.

Prepared for the attack, they slowly entered and saw Lawrence kneeling over David's body.

“What happened?” Daniels asked, walking up to her.

“He saved me ... from-from this monster, and then he desactivated himself!” she cried.

“Come on Lawrence, there is nothing we can do.”