01

><><><

Mycah was in a very bad mood.

He had a good reason for it, too. In fact, Mycah had three good reasons for his ill humour.

1. He was stuck in the dreaded middle seat of an overly stuffy plane.

2. The window seat was taken by Arden Fuller, and Mycah really did not like Arden Fuller.

3. Mycah was being forced to go on vacation with Arden Fuller and, as stated in number 2, Mycah really did not like Arden Fuller.

He let out another contemptuous sigh as he huffed further into his slouch. With his arms crossed and his lips turned downwards, he did not doubt he looked the part of a sulking teen.

It was all so unfair, really. It was his summer vacation. His last chance at freedom before entering the dreaded Senior Year, where he was going to have to like, study and shit.

He had a wild summer in mind, but then his parents had to come and drop a bombshell on him. Oh, they'd be vacationing with the Fullers this year. Lucky ole Mycah, spending the whole three months of summer stuck in a house with Arden Fuller.

"You still feeling sorry for yourself over there?" Arden asked, glancing up from his book and giving Mycah a look.

Mycah really did not like Arden. But it was far from a one way street. For as long as the two boys could remember, their hatred had been a mutual feeling.

"Shut up Arden." Mycah huffed, pulling up his hood in an effort to once again show the other boy his disdain.

Arden just snorted, shaking his head lightly before diverting his attention back to his book. Mycah wanted to wipe the smirk right off Arden's face, but his parents were only across the aisle and he wasn't quite sure they would approve of the gesture. For some reason, they seemed to like Arden Fuller.

Mycah couldn't imagine why.

"I bet the guys are getting wasted on the beach right now." Mycah muttered, half to himself and half to Arden.

"It's not even 10am in Virginia at the moment, dumbass." Arden shot back, becoming increasingly annoyed at Mycah's self pity party.

The way he saw it, Mycah should consider himself lucky enough that he could afford to go on holidays. Lord know loads of kids in their grade would kill for a sun vacation.

"Whatever, Fuller." Mycah scowled, pulling at the drawstrings of his hoodie.

"Wow Rhodes, day one and we're already reverting to second names?" Arden mocked, his voice annoyingly positive.

"Day one and I'm already considering pushing you out of this plane." Mycah shot back, glaring over at Arden.

"Wow, now I really can't wait to spend the next three months stuck with you." Arden replied, voice heavy with sarcasm.

"Three months. Don't remind me." Mycah groaned, dropping his face into his hands.

Bad enough as it was that he was being whipped away from his friends, the fact that he'd be stuck on this stupid holiday for the whole summer did nothing but amplify the annoyance.

"Do you ever stop complaining?" Arden asked blankly, looking at Mycah as he spoke.

"It's not without good reason." Mycah huffed, earning him an eye roll from Arden.

"Jesus you're so difficult. You think I've got nothing better to be doing this summer either than spending my time stuck with you? You're not the only one missing out." Arden huffed, all hopes of reading his book in peace lost at this stage.