06

"Turn off the lights." Mycah ordered, flopping down on his bed just as Arden emerged from the bathroom.

"How about a 'please'?" Arden shot back, rolling his eyes at Mycah's demand.

"How about a turn off the fucking lights." Mycah quipped in reply.

"How about a get off your lazy ass and do it yourself." Arden snorted, nonetheless flicking the switch as he settled into his own bed across the room.

"You're welcome." He said, when Mycah made no effort to thank him.

"Shut up Arden." Mycah replied, folding his hands behind his bed and staring up at the ceiling.

"Someone's snappy." Arden observed.

"Someone's tired." Mycah corrected, yawning on cue as if to illustrate his point.

There was silence for a few moments. Then just when Mycah's eyes began to droop, Arden's voice cut through it.

"Mycah?" He asked, voice almost hesitant.

"What?" Grumbled Mycah. Though he couldn't deny his curiosity had been piqued- it wasn't often he heard hesitation in Arden's voice- it didn't change the fact that he wanted to sleep.

"It's.. never mind." Arden said, voice trailing off awkwardly.

Now Mycah was really becoming curious. "No, what is it?"

"Doesn't matter."

He was fully awake at this stage.

"Arden, I was half asleep. You can't wake me up by making me curious then not tell me why."

"I was just going to ask you something, but it's not my place to ask." Arden replied, his answer taking Mycah by surprise.

"Since when the fuck have you tried to stay in your place when it comes to me." Mycah snorted. This conversation was beyond weird, and the fact that he couldn't see Arden made the whole thing even weirder.

"Fair point."

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"Well what the fuck do you think Arden. What were you going to ask me?"

"It's stupid."

"Spit it out Arden."

Mycah could feel the awkward tension from the other side of the room.

He wasn't sure if wanted to have this conversation. Wasn't sure if he could have this conversation.

"I guess.. fuck this is weird. I was just going to ask if your like.. you know.. Okay, or whatever?" Arden managed to say, albeit extremely awkwardly.

Mycah was, for perhaps the second time in his seventeen years of living, rendered speechless. (The first, of course, being his freshman year sexual awakening. (Shoutout to Matthew Dixon)).

"Jesus Christ this is awkward. Abort mission, forget I said anything." Arden sputtered hastily.

Mycah was scarcely hearing Arden at this stage, he was still in shock. To say he was surprised would be an understatement. Fucking hell, this was monumental. They had rarely ever had a civil conversation, yet here was Arden asking Mycah how he was.

Suddenly, Mycah found himself extremely grateful for the fact that the room was dark. That they could not see each other. Because Mycah didn't think he could handle handing to look at Arden right now. Or having Arden look at him.

"I'm better now." Mycah replied, eyes widening in the dark when he realized what he had done. He didn't even remember making a conscious decision to speak, much less speak civilly.