Affairs and Orders (Yu Yu Hakusho) (Hiei x OC)

"So. You're saying I'm unfit for you?" Crimson eyes leveled themselves angrily at her.

He was sitting in the windowsill once more, as he often did, arm draped lazily over the leg he had propped up. His mouth was set in a hard line as he stared at her with those damnably beautiful eyes. Although his posture was largely casual, his spine was as stiff as his jaw.

"No," she snapped, narrowing her own murky maroon orbs, "that's not what I said."

"Well it's certainly what you implied." He looked away from her then, hiding his expression. Hiding, like he always did. Hiding, like he hid the emotions wanting to bubble to the surface.

"No, what I'm implying is that you could be a little more open sometimes." She knew she didn't want to start this one again. She knew she couldn't handle an argument right now, not without breaking down and sobbing like a hapless school-girl. But the way he had acted towards her today had ripped her apart inside in ways he either did not see, or did not care to know. "All I want is to know you give a shit sometimes!" Her lips were already quivering.

Dammit.

Damn him. Damn this room. Damn this house. Damn everything.

"Why should I have to act like I care? You're a big girl, you can take care of yourself," Hiei sniped cruelly, smirk littering those damnable lips mirthless. "Don't be needy, like the humans."

"Excuse me?" By now her hands were trembling violently. She wanted nothing more than to throttle him, and to hold him close and cry. "What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Are you seriously calling me needy because you're playing at being in a goddamn relationship and you won't even give me the fucking time of day? I mean really Hiei, what the fuck am I supposed to feel? Am I supposed to feel okay with all this just because we aren't human?!"

This was very one-sided. He wasn't paying any attention; but that was no surprise. He didn't pay attention to her. Not when she needed it most. Not when she needed him most.

The other demon looked toward her and away as quickly, as she suspected he would. The smirk had dissolved with her harsh words, and still he did not speak. Simply, he stared at nothingness and breathed.

Damn him.

"At least let me know you're listening!" A single tear slipped over the rim of her eyelid. But she would not cry. She could not.

"Hn." He averted his gaze further, staring past his reflection from the window into the stormy night sky. "I'm listening, woman. How could I not?"

She bit her lip, knowing he would not turn to look at her. Knowing he would not turn to see the damage he knew he had caused.

Realizing he truly did not care.

Damn him for being so poisonously beautiful.

"Fuck you." Tears streamed freely down her cheeks. Her eyes had gone a lifeless grey by now. "You're a prick you know that? You are a fuckingasshole." Her voice hitched with her words, breaking on the last phrase. She was crying now, weeping like a useless human, as he had already accused.

He merely continued to gaze almost peacefully out the window. His expression never changed; he did not flinched when a soft sob ripped its sinful way from her throat.

Rage overtook her then, seeping into her eyes and scouring them with a bright red hue. She slammed her tea onto the modest table, spilling its contents as the cup cracked from the violent display. She stood just as sharply, leaving the room with a rough slam of the door and a wake of infuriated psychic energy.