Prologue

I was four years old and it was the eve of my fifth birthday. I was so happy I couldn't contain my excitement. My mother had told me to go to bed. For the next day would hold a rather large surprise for me. In my head I was invisioning purple and blue balloons and sparkles everywhere. With a gigantic birthday cake and my friends and family surrounding me as I blew out my candles.

That night was a pretty rough one to say the least I couldn't sleep due to the excitement. I kept tossing and turning and stirring in my bed. Eventually I guess all the happiness had left because I remember waking up in the morning to my dad taking a picture of me.

October 13th it was finally here my birthday. I jumped up and got dressed the best that I could and ran downstairs to my mother waiting at the table with all my favorite foods in a line like I was at a buffet. I ran up to the my mom with stars in my eyes like I was dreaming and gave her a peck on the cheek. For a five year old seeing blueberry muffins, bacon lots of bacon, scrambled eggs and waffles I thought I was in heaven.

After breakfast was over I asked if I could go play. With warm smiles my parents had agreed too it and I knew the first place I was going and so did they. I ran through the living room through the front door and headed for the Alpha's house. When I arrived I was greeted by Luna Gwen she wished me a happy birthday and told me Jordan was in the back. I smiled and said thank you Luna Gwen was a really sweet lady. So sweet she was like my second mom. Really the Alpha and his family were my second family. Seems how my parents where the beta and delta for the pack.

I sped walked through the house so I didn't cause any noise so the Alpha and my parents could do some work and found Jordan. He was playing in the tree house his dad built for him. It may have been his tree house but it was our clubhouse. I knocked on the door for the clubhouse then I heard shuffling.

"What's the password?" a small voice asked from the other side of the door.

"Hakuna Matata." I said with a smile as the door opened.

"Happy Birthday Nikita!" Jordan smiled and handed me a small bouquet of wild flowers that he had picked from his back yard.

I blushed and said thank you. Then we played for what seemed like five minutes but what was really four hours. When we heard my mother calling for us we ran inside. My mother told me that my father and her had to talk to me and that I could play some more in a little while. Jordan smiled at my mother than at me as we said our good-byes.

Back at our house my father had sat me down on the tiny wooden chair he made for me. My parents looked at one another than back at me with serious faces. I could tell this must be really important because they only use serious faces when I'm in trouble.

"Nikita sweetheart, we have to take care of some important stuff today. Alpha Ryker needs us to do something so that we can ensure the pack isn't in any danger." my father said.

"It will only take two hours, three tops but we will be back before you blow out the candles on your cake." Mom said with a smile.

At first I wanted to say no that they had to stay because it was my birthday but then I thought about it and I was to keep the pack safe. Keeping the pack safe is very important. Little did I know after saying ok that was the last time I was gonna see my parents.

They told me I was going to stay at the Alpha's house while they were away. While at Jordan's house I got bored so I decided to see what Piper was doing. Piper is the do it all lady. She cooks and cleans and helps with homework when needed. She is very smart and I'm glad she is a part of our pack.

"Ms.Piper what are you doing?" I asked as I walked into the kitchen where i saw the giant cakes on the counter.

"I'm perparing a feast for a five year old little girls birthday." she said with a lovely smile. "However I cannot do it if someone is in the kitchen disturbing me." she said and ushered me out of the kitchen.

****

Finally I was called to the dining room by Luna Gwen and was sat at the head of the table. I felt very special because this is usually Alpha Ryker's seat, but none the less they allowed me to sit there. With a bright smile and big purple and blue balloons scattered around a bunch of kids and adults joined in the room as Piper finished setting the table.

Jordan came to my side and placed a tiara on my head. We laughed and ate and laughed some more. After the food Piper brought out a gigantic birthday cake that was chocolate icing, with a number five candle on it.

As Alpha Ryker lit the candle a big burly fella came running in. He was whispering something to the alpha but I wasn't paying attention to them I closed my eyes took a deep breath and blew out the candle. When I opened my eyes Alpha Ryker looked pained and was on the verge of tears. When Luna Gwen went to console him he whispered to her what he was told.

Luna Gwen looked at me with awe and saddness in her eyes. It made my heart hurt they didn't have to say a word, silently I knew something had happened and before anyone could tell me I jumped from my chair and ran. I ran to the only safe place I knew the clubhouse.

It had been hours since the party and I was starting to get sleepy. So I rested my head the couch arm in the clubhouse and drifted to sleep. I was slightly awaken by someone carrying my shivering body from the clubhouse inside. To my suprise Jordan carried me all the way to his room and gently laid me on his bed. Alpha and Luna were both waiting in his room to tell me the news.

With sadness in their eyes Luna Gwen spoke softly, "Nikita dear your parents..."

"I know something bad has happened please spare me the details." I said cutting her off and with that I fell back too sleep with tears in my eyes.