Chapter 18

Pidge POV

It was only two hours after Keith left when the Galra battle Cruiser showed up oddly damaged and very much after the Castle.

"Get to the lions!" Allura had shouted over the intercoms. Everyone had been helping Coran fix the Castle of Lions (again) and they had to scramble from all corners of the Castle to get to the command room to deploy.

The castle took heavy fire from the Galra flyers, but the Cruiser didn't seem to have a particle canon to fire at them, meaning they had a small advantage. The particle canon was the strongest weapon that a battle cruiser possessed and one of the few things that was able to effectively deteriorate the Castle's particle barrier.

By the time the paladins (who had lions) had managed to get full control over the situation almost all of the Galra flyers were down and the Battle cruiser was on its last legs.

A few collective attacks from all three lion's blasters and then the ship was bursting apart.

They had won.

"Good work you guys!" Shiro's proud (dad) voice rang through their helmets.

"Hell yeah!" Pidge said excited that, for once, they had won a battle without running away or almost dying.

"Hunk did you see me out there?" Lance rambled joyfully as all three of them brought their lions back to the castle.

"Yeah man! Nice shooting!" Hunk indulged Lance. Lance said nothing else, but Pidge could almost feel the smile that he was sporting.

Everyone was in high spirits when they finally arrived back in the castle. Everyone, that is, except for Allura.

"You did great out there paladins, but we cannot stay in this quadrant any longer," Allura said, frowning.

"What?" Lance stepped forward, his helmet in his hands. A small confused smile found his lips as he spoke. "You're kidding, right?"

"I'm afraid not Lance. Where there is one there are many." She said sadly.

Lance scoffed and took a step closer, "But Keith hasn't come back yet! How will he know where we are if we leave? We have no communications!" Lance was becoming flustered.

"I know that but-" Allura began, only to get cut off by Lance.

"But what? We can't leave, we have to form an alliance with-"

"Lance." Shiro's voice silenced him. "She's right. You know how dangerous it is to stay put. We don't know if that Cruiser sent out transmission or even if other reinforcements are on the way. We got lucky with the state that the last cruiser showed up in, but if we aren't careful our luck will run out."

Lance opened his mouth to speak, but closed it when he realized they were right.

"I know that you two had become close, but we can't risk the lions or the castle," Allura said softly.

Lance sputtered. "I was not close with that idiot." He crossed his arms over his chest, a gesture Pidge recognized as defensive.

Pidge turned to Hunk and they shared a knowing look before Coran spoke. "We could always leave a message for them to find."

Lance snapped his gaze over to Coran, eyes alight with hope. "How?"

"Pidge, do you think you can recode a message similar to the one we found in Shiro's arm?" Pidge turned to Coran.

Of course she could, she had seen the code and found the pattern. Even her software had been able to copy it and separate the virus from the useful information. The question was, where was she going to put the code.