Chapter 27

Two days. That's how long they spent in the healing pods.

Lance was the first one out. When he stumbled forwards and fell into Hunk's waiting arms he was a bit dazed and confused but recovered relatively quickly. The whole team was there, including Matt. They all smiled and crushed him in loving hugs before telling him, "God you smell!"

Thanks Pidge.

He pulled himself from everyone's embrace and let his gaze fall to Keith's resting face, light purple spots dancing over his skin. He was still, eerily so, but if he looked close enough he could faintly make out the rise and fall of his chest.

He hesitated there for a while. Not that he didn't want to shower and get his skin care routine back on track ASAP, but Keith... He still hadn't woken up yet and Lance knew he shouldn't have been worried but...

"Allura?" Lance started softly, Pidge pinching her nose and waving her hand in front of her face behind him as he spoke.

"Yes, Lance?"

"Why did I wake up first? Was Keith worse..." He didn't even want to finish the sentence. Of course he was worse off. He already knew that, he had seen him after they had been rescued. It was a stupid question to ask in the first place.

"The pods work with the energy that your body gains through rest and food, it seemed that Keith was lacking in those things much more than you so the pod had to replenish that before it could start healing him. According to the read outs he should wake up in roughly..." She turned to Shiro and he mouthed a word to her. "One earth hour." She spoke the word as if it didn't fit in her mouth.

"Are you sure?" Lance asked. He knew that he really needed to clean himself up and he definitely wanted to see how everything had scarred over, but he had to be here when Keith woke up.

"Yes Lance, I am certain." Allura answered.

"Don't worry buddy." Hunk chimed in from his side. "If Keith shows any signs of waking up I'll come get you." Hunk gave him a winning smile and Lance knew that he would be true to his word.

"Plus, you don't want to smell like ass when your boyfriend wakes up." Pidge struck in helpfully. Lance narrowed his eyes at her.

"Pidge I thought that-" before Shiro could start his dad rant Lance butted in.

"He's not my boyfriend." Lance crossed his arms over his chest defensively.

"Oh yeah?" Pidge challenged, taking a step closer with a teasing smile. "Then what is he?" Lance could feel his face heating up and he prayed his dark skin tone would cover his blush.

"He's my friend obviously."

"Mhm." Pidge gave him a knowing look, as if she knew anything. Lance stuck his tongue out at her and she did the same.

It was strange how at home it made him feel to be bickering with Pidge, Shiro looking at the two of them with slight disappointment and Hunk smiling nervously off to the side. It was strange how much it felt like they were a family up here in space with the Alteans on board of a massive castle-spaceship.

It wasn't strange though, how relieved that Lance felt to be back with them.

...

After showering and cleaning himself off Lance allowed himself to get a clearer look at his carvings. Standing before the mirror in only his boxers he turned to the side to look at his left shoulder. He could faintly make out which lines had been made by Keith's gentle strokes and which ones had been carved by the jagged edges from the original cuts. However, it wasn't very obvious and if he wasn't looking for it he wouldn't have noticed at all.