chapter 4

For a moment you thought your heart stopped beating. In a flash of an eye, a creature shrieking loudly jumped from the dark towards you as its claws slid across your jaw. It looked almost human but behaved like an animal. Its claws looked a little mechanical and were especially long...

Without thinking you spun on your heel and sprinted as fast as you could. Unfortunately, the creature had attacked you from the front and intercepted you, so you were forced to run back into the direction you came from.

'Shit' you thought, there were barely any people going back, so who could you possibly shout out for help? Suicidal or not, you definitely didn't want to get killed by this creature. It would rip you limp by limp, mercy was completely unknown to it.

Even though you were running as fast as your body could handle it, it was no problem for the creature to catch up with you soon. It was fast and agile. Your hopes of being able to call for help were crushed as you realized you'd never make it to the nearest house in time.

"Fuck!"

The creature made a pounce to hit deep scratches in your leg, making you fall and flip in motion. You landed on your back hard.

"Huff!"

The creature jumped on top of you and pinned you down with its sharp claws on your shoulders. You gritted your teeth as its claws sunk into your flesh, causing your (shirt, blouse, tank top, jacket, sweatshirt) to get stained in deep red. It raised one of its claws from your shoulders to give a final blow, and even as the wound was deep you already felt it healing up. But that did not concern the creature at all, it would kill you no matter who you were. You closed your eyes to meet your end...

Then suddenly, it screamed in pain and jumped off you. You dared to open your eyes. You saw blood dripping from the side of its neck. You slowly turned your head to see who your savior was-

"Jeff?"

He was standing across the creature holding his knife as blood dripped from it. The wind blew through his long dark hair, covering his face. You stared at him in disbelief. He had saved you...

The creature charged towards him, its deadly claws swinging in the air but Jeff dodged it and used the opening to make a cut into the creatures flesh once again. It shrieked in pain and dug its claws into Jeff's upper arm but he still swung his blade at the creature.

Still lying on the ground, you barely dared to breathe as you watched the battle between the two monsters before you. You didn't know why but some part of you was worried for Jeff. The creature had the advantage of having such long and sharp claws on both on its hands while Jeff only had his knife.

You tried to look around. Maybe you could  find something that could distract the creature and give Jeff a better opening. You were about to get on your feet-

"Don't move" He hissed.

Although he was not directly looking at you, you knew he was speaking to you. He already had so many wounds. You weren't anywhere near trusting him yet but the gruesome sight of him being so injured was heartbreaking.

You felt so useless lying around while there was a life or death match right in front you, with the possibility that the one protecting you would lose. Wasn't there anything you could do to help Jeff?

The battle raged on as both kept trying to dodge each other's attacks, looking for chances to strike and harm each other's bodies. Eventually, the creature ended up being the more fatally wounded of the two. Realizing its disadvantage, it broke off from the fight and fled into the darkness. Jeff didn't even bother to chase it.

"Little bitch..."

He ran up to and placed himself under your arm to help you get up.

"You alright?" He asked.

"Y-yeah... Thank you, Jeff."

You looked at him. Dozens of open wounds were staining his jacket red, and yet the first thing he was concerned about was you, even though your wounds had closed themselves long before. Why did he do that? You had only met him yesterday and you had a rather... strange encounter with him... yet why did he save you? Why was he even here?

You weren't even sure of what to ask. But probably it would be best to ask about the creature first.

"Umm... what was that thing that attacked me?" You asked him carefully.

"The rake." He answered.

"Why did it attack me?"

"Cause he's retarded, that's why."

"..."

That was a rather an ironic answer. But he had saved your life so you had no right to mock him. In fact, you were more than just thankful. If he hadn't showed up, you would have been long dead before. But how did he find you?

"... how did you know I was here?"

"Oh, I know very well. Good girls like you should be going to sleep at this time and not skip class."

"H-how did you know?"

"I have my sources." He grinned. Even though he was bleeding so much, he was still cracking jokes and helped you walk. You felt bad for the fact that he was helping you as injured as he was, while you were no longer bleeding.

"It's alright, I can walk." You said.

He let go of you and continued walking beside you.

"I'm so sorry..."

"Huh? What the fuck are you apologizing for?" He looked at you quizzically.

"It's my fault that you're so injured..."

"Huh? Would you have preferred to be shredded by that guy instead? Plus these are just a couple of scratches. No big deal."

Though his injuries looked bad, he didn't seem to be bothered by them. Perhaps he was really special as well.

 You were still far from home and the soulless alley seemed endless when you had to limp. It would take a long while to get home. Thousands of questions where still bothering you but perhaps it would be wiser to ask later. You didn't want to pester him with so many question when he was in this state.

After some moments, you could see a pair of head lamps of a car from the distance. It seemed to be heading into your direction. As it drove closer to you, you noticed that it was a taxi.

"A taxi! Now, aren't we lucky?" A grin split on Jeff's face.

"But I don't have enough money.." Riding taxis were especially expensive these days.

"Don't worry 'bout that." Jeff reassured you. Was he going to pay for your fare?

He put on his hoodie to partially hide his face and stepped closer to the road to stretch out his arm for the taxi to halt. The taxi stopped as he softly pushed you towards the car and whispered  "Get in."

Obeying his orders, you opened the front door of the car and sat next to the taxi driver. Jeff entered the back seat.

"Kinda late for two teens to be out ,don't you think?" The driver joked. "So, where to?"

"To your dreams." Jeff answered.

"Huh?" The driver looked confused.

"GO TO SLEEP!"

With that, Jeff removed his hood and before the driver could let out a scream, he had already dug his knife into the man's throat. Extremely shocked, you stared as he stabbed the driver several times more. As the taxi driver stopped moving completely, he dragged his lifeless body and threw it out of the taxi. Jeff moved to the front seat and started the engine.

You felt like a fool for thinking that he would actually pay for your fare in the first place. Your stomach tightened and you felt like puking.

Jeff turned on the radio to play some music but that did not make you feel better.

You sat there, still like a doll, your eyes wide as if you were traumatized.