chapter 5

You had just witnessed a murder. Somebody just had been killed right next to you. And although you had not taken any action, you still were part of it by sitting right next to the event... and to the killer.

For Jeff, however, such was not an issue. He had taken countless lives and this one had probably not been any different from his past killings.

"What's wrong? You feel sorry for the guy?" He noticed your silence.

Your throat felt too tight to give out an answer. You weren't sure if it was sympathy you felt for the taxi driver or if it was horror from the sight of such violence. Somehow, it felt different from the fight he had with creature and it was way more bloodshed than the murder, but still... it was grotesque.

"Look, I know what you may be thinking, but imagine what would happen if I didn't kill him: You wouldn't be able to get a free ride home, right?"

That may be true but that was not exactly a valid excuse.

"Plus, who knows what he would have done to a lonely girl like you. Better he dies."

That statement was true as well but hardly justifiable. It was rather ironic how a serial killer was telling you not to trust taxi drivers. You still had no words and looked down at your hands. Jeff, growing impatient by your stillness, turned off the radio and halted the car.

"Do you hate me?"

You stared him in the eyes and shook your head. No, you did not hate him. Even though he had scarred your innocent eyes and mind forever, you still couldn't bring yourself to hate him. After all he had saved your life but there was something more than that...

He hit his palm on the window.

"I'm trying to make your sad ass smile here! I thought I've already made you feel better! Why the fuck are you still frowning like that?"

You were taken aback by the sound of despair and frustration in his voice. Of course, he had saved you, he had helped you find a way home and given you his company. Although he had killed someone for your sake, that was more than you could ever have asked for. No, the frown was not because of him. It was not his fault.

"It's not you, Jeff. You're not the reason why I'm-"

"I don't give a fuck about your reasons! What I want is to be the reason for your smile!"

...Why? Why would a serial killer care about your feelings? Why would he try to make you happy? You recalled last night as he had tried to carve a smile on your face. Why did he do that? Why did he want you to smile like he did?

"Why do you want to make me smile so badly anyways?"

Jeff seemed a bit astonished by your question but didn't answer. He returned to face the steering wheel and started the engine again, his face unreadable. For a moment your regretted asking him that question.

Neither of you dared to talk. You continued to look outside the window.

Perhaps Jeff wasn't so bad after all. Perhaps he was only misunderstood. You recounted the events that took place this night. He had saved you from a scary creature that was about to kill you painfully, he had killed a taxi driver so you could go home even while having insufficient money with you, and he personally was driving you home, something that your father had failed to do but Jeff  was filling up the gap.

He sure had a strange way of finding solutions to a problem, and his methods were not exactly the right things to do but the intent he meant was good.  He had a weird way of expressing himself, but he only wanted the best.

You were slowly beginning to understand him. Perhaps you should give him more credit to what he had done for you, you thought to yourself.

Wasn't he also bullied before? Maybe that's why he was doing what he did. He was broken and molded him into a bloody killing machine. You wondered if you would ever end up like him someday. Your life had been falling apart and you were on the verge of no longer caring about it...

Perhaps you and Jeff had more in common than you thought.

 You finally reached the city and Jeff halted a few blocks from your apartment. An awkward silence stretched between the two of you.

"Umm... Thank you, Jeff."

You smiled awkwardly at him. Although it was awkward, his expression changed. He smiled as well.

"Like that... you look pretty."

You slightly felt your cheeks blushing. You were about to reach for the door to go out but he locked the car.

"What's this? You're leaving without giving me a a goodnight kiss?"

"I umm... huh?"

You felt yourself blushing even more. True, you had lost your first kiss to him as he had just randomly done so, but you were still too awkward to make a move yourself.

"Err.."

Embarrassed, you scratched your head. What were you supposed to do?

Ignoring your awkwardness, Jeff advanced himself towards you and kissed you on the lips. Again. Without thinking, you returned his kiss. As your lips locked, Jeff slid his tongue inside your mouth. You felt his hands all over your body. You realized that it felt a lot better than last night. You didn't want to stop as your tongues played their games and shivered as Jeff nibbled on yours and you could feel yourself getting excited.

Sadly, your passionate moment was interrupted as you heard a noisy group of teenagers. Jeff broke from the kiss and glared at the teenagers.

"Fucking people... why aren't they asleep yet?" He growled.

You were still dazed from his kiss but he unlocked the car.

"Well, guess it's time to go. You still have class tomorrow, right?" He said.

In all honesty, you didn't want to leave and continue the kiss but you knew  Jeff didn't have the same luxury as you too let himself be seen in public. You nodded and gave him one last smile. He returned it with a grin.

You went out of the car and headed to your apartment. You turned to look back but the taxi was already gone.

It was the first time a boy had ever brought you home. It was hard to admit it, but despite everything he had still managed to cheer you up.

"Jeff..."

Just who was he and what did he want from you?  Well, sooner or later you would find out. You made your way to your room and laid on the bed. You looked at the clock. It was almost 1 am. Just in one night so much has happened. Your emotions ranged from fear to awe and worry as you watched Jeff fighting, terror from watching him kill a man, confusion to his words, happiness as he had brought you home and passion as you were kissing in the car. The memories kept spinning through your head.

"Looks like another sleepless night." You said to yourself.

Too bad you couldn't skip school again.