12. Leave Everything Behind

"Paul abused her!?" Audrey shrieked through the phone.

"Verbally, yes. Their fights get worse everyday." Vanessa replied.

"Why doesn't mom just leave him? He's doing nothing, merely an extra mouth to feed."

"He's human no matter what, don't be so harsh."

"Harsh? So we should be soft on criminals? Never punish anyone?"

"Those are extremities, plus, Kylie will ask questions. And mom sometimes thinks it's actually her fault that Paul's business failed, though I've told her no a million times but I can say only so much. Especially with everything else going on, I've got to keep my sanity."

"It's like- you know what, she knows it isn't her fault because she really does. Saying that she's bad luck is so superstitious and not true, she's knows that. I just think she has a slight guilt about something else, and puts that in this case to deal with it."

Vanessa thought it over.

"Maybe. I mean, it's better to blame someone, even if your own damn self when you don't know who's at fault."

"Exactly." Audrey replied. "She may be finding it easy to indirectly deal with whatever is bothering her through this way."

Vanessa shook her head. "I'm sorry, you shouldn't be worried about all this right now. You got in!" She smiled a little. But her heart was filled with pride.

"Yeah.." Audrey chuckled. "I'll tour the world next month. Unbelievable."

"When do you have to leave?"

"Ten days. The production is extravagant and there's gonna be multiple choreographies as a f*ck you to the agency Monica's in legal issue with."

"Yeah, like, I don't need you to put up a show."

"Yep. So for practices and everything else, I'll leave in ten days. Tomorrow, I'll drop myself from college."

"Talked to mom?"

"Not yet. I'll call her later tonight."

"Okay.. just, take care and think your actions through. You're taking major steps, Audrey."

"Enough about me, Vanessa. How are you?"

Vanessa understood she was talking about the Luke situation.
She contemplated whether to tell her the truth, which was that she wasn't fine. Luke had easily ignored her and already started hanging out with other girls.

Even while they were dating, some girls had been eager to get Luke. Now that they had him, they made sure they flaunted him, especially in front of her.

Their taunts and rumours and petty tricks to get Vanessa in trouble had not gone unnoticed by her. The fact that everyone watched her reactions and kept up with her relationship status didn't help either.

"Um, let's just say being known by the whole school isn't fun in times of drama which emotionally wrecks you." She said in a joking tone.

"Did he say something to you?"

"No, and I think that's the problem. I have so much I wanna say him but I'm holding everything in. Guessing his reasons, what he's thinking and maybe it's his plan to get my peace of mind gone but it sure is working."

"Vanessa, the school year has just begun. People have nothing much to do. As it progresses, they'll start worrying about their sh*t and eventually forget this all. People, should be your last of worries."

Vanessa agreed. "You're right. Even I have other things to mind."

"If I were in your situation, I'd dance." She laughed. "Crazy it may sound, but a creative release works better than anything. Try hitting higher notes when you sing, improve your voice. Really get to the core of your lungs and sing your heart out. Imagine you're in a music video."