50. Lies And Drunken Truths

2:13 AM

Audrey never gave up the microphone for a second to anyone else.

One hand wrapped around the mic and the other around a bottle neck, she was having the time of her life.

Mason was having the time of his life as well. Watching out for Audrey, getting more drinks, recording Audrey, feeding Audrey, and laughing with Audrey were his tasks of the night.

Tessa and Liam sat together on a sofa against the wall and both had their legs and arms crossed as they watched the other two with a glare.

Vanessa was the observant sitting on a table alone at the back.

She ate the roasted peanuts silently and thought over what she should do.

To her, it was clear that Liam wasn't liking what was going on as he had a similar expression as Tessa, who was dating Mason. So unless he liked Audrey, he wouldn't have just sat there ideally with a scowl.

"What is that, your ten thousandth song? Stop already!" Vanessa raised her hand to call for attention.

The only response she got was a brief glance from Tessa. She sighed and brought her hand back down and rested her elbow against the table edge.

After a while, she felt a touch on her forearm and looked up. It was Liam, looking down at her with half opened eyes.

He pulled out a chair and sat down while Vanessa saw Audrey still on the stage.

"I wanna ask something." Liam said, there was a clear smell of alcohol.

"Uh, sure."

He leaned in. "How does Audrey know that bastard, again?"

Vanessa glanced at Mason before responding. "His father discovered Audrey at the bar that you two worked at."

"Red's." Liam snapped his fingers. "That's right."

"Yeah."

"But isn't he dating her?" He pointed at Tessa. "Her name is Mason's girlfriend, for God's sake. She has to be dating him!" He banged the table.

Vanessa muffled a laugh. "Her name is Tessa."

"Hm.." He pondered. "Maybe that's why they're not dating, and that means Audrey and him are?"

Vanessa placed a hand on his shoulder and leaned forward. "You're high." She said as a matter of fact.

"Are they?" He pressed.

"I don't know-"

"You do! Please tell me. I have decide my actions based on what you say. Tell me truthfully."

She exhaled. "What actions?"

"Look," he said, gesturing with his hands and speaking slowly as if talking to a child and she amusingly nodded, "I have get back home soon. I'm not privileged like Mason who is acquainted with so many people in the industry and I also have to earn money unlike him."

Vanessa realised he was talking his heart out, without any filter.

"So when I'm gone, I need to know. To be completely honest with you, I've liker Audrey since freshman year in college. I was her only friend," suddenly he stopped.

"What's wrong?"

"I guess things never change." He laughed. "I'm still her only friend. It's other guys who get to the 'more than friends' stage." He used his fingers to air quote.

She looked down, not knowing what the appropriate thing to say would be.

"Anyway, I can take the risk now. I will ask her out, bold and clear. You just tell me if they're dating. When I asked Mason's girlfriend, she got angry and left me alone."