85. Begin

Imagine the song playing in the background in this restaurant scene <3

***

Cedric took Vanessa to a rooftop restaurant that overviewed the night skyline of New York.

"Where is he?" Vanessa asked, looking at the empty place.

"Who?" Cedric asked as he pulled out a chair for her.

Vanessa immediately understood what was going on. She stood still in her place. "You lied about your father, didn't you?"

"My father is in Australia, probably sleeping." He said with a small smile.

"Cedric-"

"You wouldn't have agreed to come if I didn't lie."

"I should've understood when you said Audrey doesn't need to come. I'm the stupid one." She said as she turned around.

Cedric grabbed her by the wrist, pulled her and made her sit down.

"Vanessa, now that we're here, we might as well stay."

"Why did you feel the need to lie? Who said I-"

"Nobody needs to tell me. I know you're avoiding me and you can't accept it in front of me."

Vanessa sighed and turned her eyes down to pick up the menu. "I'm thinking Italian?"

"You're looking at the alcohol card."

"Hm. That, too. Some Italian wine?"

"You're not drinking here. You're underage."

Vanessa looked up. "What the."

"If you want, I won't drink either."

"You should've taken me somewhere you could've used your weird owner rights to at least let me drink."

Cedric smiled.

"I'm not really hungry." She said as she looked up at the sky.

"You should have a proper dinner. You might have to skip breakfast tomorrow."

"It's kinda creepy how you always know our schedule."

They ordered their food and while waiting for it, talked about things here and there.

Everything was going smoothly and comfortable. Vanessa felt at ease.

Just then, the music changed into a slow song. Vanessa's eyes widened as she recognized it. "Oh, this-"

Cedric stood up and extended his hand. "Would you like to dance?"

Vanessa's heart did a skip. She thought if it was possible what she was thinking. But then she laughed at herself internally and took his hand.

"I'd love to."

Cedric led her to the space beside their table and placed his other hand on the small of her back.

They slowly swayed with the rhythm. Vanessa listened close to the lyrics.

Halfway through the song, Cedric broke their silence.

"I wanted to ask you something."

Vanessa again felt that familiarity. She looked straight up at him with a nod.

He let go of her hand and stepped back, went down on his knee and asked with a sincere face.

"I've already given you a ring, now I'm giving you my words. Would you be my girlfriend?"