Chapter One - Blood

*I decided on making it a boarding school instead of a high school, more fun.*

Pete's Point of View. 

First Year. 

He's humming something under his breath again. It feels familiar, whether that's because it's Patrick humming it or I actually know the melody I'm not sure. I roll onto my side and stare at him. His head is buried in one of the books he's reading for English. He soon notices me staring and blushes. "What are you looking at Wentz?" He smiles bashfully, pinning his hair back with the hand not holding the book. It lands just above his eyes again when he lets go. 

"Nothing 'Trick." I grin at him and he puts his book down beside him and lies on his back, staring at the ceiling. I notice the bruise around his jaw, again. I get up and crouch beside his bed. My finger finds it's way to the dark purple mark. "When did you get that?" Patrick's hand covers the mark. "Yesterday maybe, I don't know."  

"What jerk did it this time? Wait until I tell Andy and Joe. And Bren-" I grit my teeth and stand up. "Pete," Patrick grabs my arm, pulling me down again before I walk off. "You'll only make it worse." I sigh, still vengeful. "I can't let them just... walk over you." He sits up and puts his feet on the ground. I sit beside him on the bed. "I know it sounds stupid but this isn't your fight, okay?" He's trying to catch my stare, I look away. "Alright, alright. I'll leave it. But the next time-" 

"Pete." He says it sharply, giving me a slight push. I stand up, "Fine." I walk to the door, turning around before I leave. "Sorry." Patrick tries to smile and I leave, not really knowing where to go.  

* * * * *

"Don't pack up yet, wait for the bell everyone." Everyone simultaneously groans. We wait another ten seconds before the bell actually rings and get up immediately, to the disapproval of our teacher. We all head out of the door at once and I turn the corner to get to the common room. At the end of the corridor I see a group of five or six guys all huddled around one dude. "Just piss off, I didn't do anything." Patrick sighs, pushing one of them backwards. He stumbles a bit and Patrick laughs at him. Which just makes them all angrier. For such a quiet guy, Patrick can be just as violent and as outgoing as everyone else.

One of them raises his arm, getting ready to swing. Patrick shields his face. I drop my bag, take a run at him and knock him straight to the ground. Patrick takes a step back, shocked. Then he seems to remember what's happening and jumps on one of their backs, trying to make him trip up too. These guys are all way taller than us so it takes a huge force to knock 'em over. Luckily, this is not our first time fighting these idiots. 

The two guys we have lying on the ground's friends pick us both up from behind and shove us against the wall. "Listen you little inbred," He says to me, "Stop fighting for your boyfriend." I spit in his face, "He's not my boyfriend." He pulls at my hair, keeping me against the wall. I try to look over to Patrick, who's trying to look over at me. "Shit." He says very plainly. I laugh a bit at that and attempt to kick the guy in the balls. I'm not very successful but it's still enough for him to let go. I tackle the guy holding Patrick to the ground. And Patrick's freed and unsure of what to do now. 

"Patrick, fuck go get Gabe or someone!" I shout and Patrick nods, running off to Gabe's room. Gabe's the strongest dude I know, I've been tackled by him in soccer practice too many times. I just don't feel like showing up to class tomorrow with another black eye and well, might as well call back up. Four against two just isn't fair.

* * * * *

Patrick's Point of View 

I run as fast as I can down the hall to Gabe's room. He's standing outside with Ryan and Andy, talking about midterms and what they're doing at the weekend. "GABE!" I shout, reaching him. "It's Pete.. We- Guys and- Tackled.. COME ON!" He catches on right away and runs down with me, Ryan and Andy keeping up just in case. I'm not sure about Ryan but Andy.. Andy can throw one hell of a punch. 

We get back to Pete and he's pinned down on the ground by the bulky one, he's smirking and insulting them. He gets kneed in the stomach and that's when Gabe like full on charges at him. I'm pretty sure he'll get concussed or some shit because his head slams against the wall and Gabe just laughs, getting back up while the dude's just sitting there, nearly unconscious.

When Pete gets up and Andy joins in too it is not a pretty sight. Punches are being thrown and blood is starting to appear. Ryan and I help where we can, when someone needs a hand getting up or whatever. 

About five minutes later a teacher appears. "STOP! STOP THIS RIGHT NOW!" He's shouting, breaking everyone apart. "Peter, Gabriel. I should have known it was you two. Come with me right now, Andrew, Patrick, Ryan, you too." 

"But sir-" Pete lets go of the guy who was punching him a few seconds ago and we follow. "What about them-" 

"I'll speak to them later, right now it's you I want to talk you." I've never even seen this teacher before but clearly Pete and Gabe have. And they're pretty familiar. 

We sit down outside of the principles office. "Third time this month, that's gotta be suspension." Pete mutters. Gabe swears under his breath, "I can't get suspended... I live miles away, my parents would be so pissed."  Ryan buries his head in his hands, "I am not going back to that hellhole of a house. There's a reason I stay here at the holidays."

"Look, we're not gonna get suspended okay?" I reassure everyone, Andy doesn't look very convinced. "Everyone just calm down."  

"We'll probably get gated." Andy sighs, not seeming too bothered. "Or caned." Ryan smirks. We all laugh, feeling less humiliated and hateful. The head comes out soon enough, not looking overjoyed with us. 

"Well boys, come in." She steps in the door and we follow unwillingly. "Now, I'm not going to lecture you because that just doesn't seem to be working." She glares at Pete who is unmoved. "So instead here's what's going to happen. First of all, I want to see no more fighting. Second of all, you are to report to the football field tomorrow morning at 5:00am sharp to clean the equipment." Everyone exchanges looks. "Thirdly, you all have detention straight after class everyday for the next month." Gabe and Pete's faces both drop, "Miss please, we've got soccer." Pete begs, not wanting to miss practice. "That's unlucky Mister Wentz. You shouldn't have been fighting then." 

"But I was defending Patrick! He gets beaten up by those clowns everyday! I wasn't just about to let it go and let them beat up my best friend, again. You know what? That's bullshit!" 

"Peter! I am appalled at your use of language. Refrain from using that abusive tongue of yours and maybe use your brain instead." She looks over to me and sticks her head up slightly. "On the other hand, I will see to it Patrick that they get a suitable punishment." I dip my head and nod. "Finally, you are not allowed to leave the school premises anytime for the next week. Count yourselves lucky I do not suspend any of you. You're all dismissed."

We walk out, all still seething with anger. I walk over to Pete and give him a hug, "Thank you. If it wasn't for you I'd probably be bleeding to death by now." I joke, still hanging onto him. He hesitates and puts his arms around me too. "That's okay 'Trick, you're like a little brother to me. If it wasn't for all these guys I think I would have been right there with you." He rests his head on top of mine and I chuckle. I pull away and turn to look at the bruised, cut and bleeding guys I call my friends. "Thank you for coming too.. all of you." They smile, all mumble how it was no problem and they couldn't have either of us being pushed around like that. 

We walk to the common room together, getting stares and hearing whispers as we go by. Pete's hug still lingers with me and I notice that he's closer to me as we're walking as if he's trying to protect me from the stares or something. I smile at the thought and let him. 

*First chapter! I would have wrote more except it's late here and I'm just not up for it right now. Tomorrow I'll hopefully make a start on the rest of the fics but until then, I hope you enjoyed this. Oh, 'gating' is not being allowed to leave the school area to go downtown or whatever, just in case you didn't know.*