Chapter 2 - The One

(revised)

I had just left my bedroom, ready to go to the headquarters and start working, but first, I had to find Farrier. It did not take long for me to locate him. He was leaning against the wall, making conversation to two nurses who seemed to be fascinated by his words. I had to admit that he knew how to talk to girls.

"Farrier, time to go," I announced while walking past him, not bothering to look in his direction. He followed me, laughing, his two conquests giving me a death glare. They probably hated me for cutting their moment short.

"Thanks lad! I couldn't get rid of them," he joked.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna believe you," I sighed with amusement. "I know you like that."

"I confess. But you should do the same, just let go. It'll do you some good, you know."

"Yeah, I know. I know that going from one girl to another is trouble. I just need one."

"Then find one! You're spoilt for choice!"

"Haven't met her yet."

"Oh, come on! Here we go again! Still talking about the girl, the one he will marry," he rolled his eyes. "Do you remember that we're war pilots? We can't wait for the right girl to show up, we need to have fun before it's too late!" he insisted.

"Well, I tried. But that's not who I am. I'm not like you," I laughed.

"I know Romeo," he said, locking his left arm around my neck to force me to bend over so he could ruffle my hair as we entered the office. It was his way to show he cared about me.

"Young men, mind your manners!" our commander called to order. We immediately stopped and came to attention, trying not to laugh, exchanging a look as I mouthed bad words to his attention, not interested in discovering what was so important for the commander to show up on that particular day.

"I want to introduce our new recruits. Miss Wright and Miss Pembley. They'll help you with flight preparation and aerial survey. Gentlemen, I want you to treat them properly. They've just arrived yesterday and need some time to take their mark."

I regained all my seriousness when my eyes came to meet those of Miss Wright and I recognized the face I had already seen in the corridor the day before. I could not quite believe she was standing in front of me again, but in a totally different context. I took advantage of the commander's monologue to admire her. She had a face one could not forget. Delicate features, high cheekbones, luscious lips and sparkling brown eyes. Her nose and cheeks were covered with freckles, little sparkles of sun on her skin. She was beautiful, even more than the first time I had been blessed by the vision of her.
She blushed when she realised I was looking at her but she quickly ignored me, which added a lot to her charm.

I forced myself not to smile as I thought that life had some amazing ways to make you think that things happened for a reason. I did not know what the reason was yet, but I was certain that her presence on that day and our previous encounter were not a simple fluke.

I bent towards Farrier, making sure the commander was focused on something else, and whispered: "That's her."

"Who?" he asked, surprised.

"The one," I simply replied, smiling.

"About time!" he exclaimed.

*

The commander gone, I walked towards Miss Wright's desk with the intention to introduce myself. I would not have made such a move in general, but James could be very influential.