Chapter 6 - Together at last

(revised)

Some mornings were harder than others, and today was a tough one. The pain hammering my head because of the hangover was not putting me in the best mood. That and the fact I had probably got up on the wrong side of the bed. How could it be otherwise considering the bad night I had just had? My mother used to tell me that a clear conscience helped sleep at night, and my conscience was clearly not good when I had gone to bed the day before. I had wanted to pay Freya back in her own coin, show her that I was not the kind of guy with whom she could play. We had switched roles, I was the one playing now. I was so mad at her, and I wanted her to know, but I had gone too far. I had understood that when I had seen her eyes full of tears after I had purposely made a move on Vera, knowing she was watching us. I wanted to make her jealous, not to hurt her, but I could act like a real arsehole sometimes... Even if I was cross with her, it was no excuse to behave the way I had, and remembering the night only made me feel worse about myself.

As I had expected, the atmosphere was tense when I entered the office. Freya had completely ignored me when she had walked past me, but I was not surprised. Yet, I would have preferred for us never to reach that point. It was like a break-up, a very bad break-up, although we had never been together. How ironic...

I suddenly regretted mixing work and feelings, already hearing what everyone would tell me when they would realise what was happening. Quite irritated by the situation, I did not try to confront her and I went to my friends. Some were in a better state than I was and they did not fail to point it out.

"So, Collins, rough night yesterday?"

"Not recovered yet?"

"I'm fine guys," I replied with a smile, as they gently nudged me around.

"Where did you go at the end of the night? Don't you have something to tell us?"

I kept smiling but on the inside, I was hoping for them to change the subject. I did not want Freya to think I had gone further with the other girl. There was enough tension between us already.

"I've got nothing to tell you. I went to bed, that's all," I replied, trying to put an end to that conversation.

"Really? Because that cute blond girl you were dancing with was nowhere to be seen either."

"I went back to our quarters guys, I swear!" I said, raising my hands to prove my innocence.

I silently implored them to stop asking questions, but they failed to understand.

"Anyway, you don't deny yourself anything! Vera is like, super-hot!"

"She definitely has a crush on you, being all over you like that. She's not even trying to hide it, lucky bastard!"

"Don't try to tell us you didn't leave with her, I don't believe you; but I have to say I was quite surprised to see you with her, I thought you were more into Frey..."

He stopped when he saw the disapproving frown on my face, realising his blunder. When he started looking at his feet, I understood Freya had heard. Everything became silent as she came towards us to put a bunch of maps on the table.

"If he's as fickle in war as he's in love, then he'll soon become your enemy," she coldly flung before going back to her desk.

I looked up and laughed nervously, cut to the quick by her words. That was savage. I gritted my teeth to control my anger and to prevent any word I could regret to come out of my mouth. I could see on their faces that my friends were stunned by what they had witnessed. James was the only one to know what could have motivated Freya's comment, and he knew it was not the right time to talk about it. Even though she had succeeded, I did not want her to see she had hurt my feelings, so I moved to the table and started studying the maps she had brought. Nobody dared to mention what they had seen, nobody but one who was more than happy to use that against me.