Chapter 7 - Falling

(revised)

*SPOILER*

Don't read if you haven't watched Dunkirk yet

At the first opportunity, I had left the military base to seek for Lewis. I had made up my mind and it was now time to let him know about my decision. I would be lying if I said that I was not scared to end things with him. I had no idea how he would react, but I was determined to take the risk for Andrew, because it was him I truly loved.

I went directly to his hotel, pretty sure I would find him there for he was not the kind to take a walk in the countryside to pass the time. I quickly made my way to his room and I took a deep breath before knocking on the door, my heart rushing and making me feel nauseous. I prayed for him not to be there but the door opened, revealing his imposing frame against the light.

"Freya? What are you doing here?" he asked, taken aback.

"I needed to talk to you," I started.

"What's going on? Is it that important? Aren't you supposed to be at work?" he worried.

He moved to the side, inviting me to come in, which I did, and he closed the door behind me.

"No, it's my lunch break. And I needed to talk to you right away. Are you alone?"

"Of course I am!" he replied, slightly offended by my question.

He approached me with a smile that he wanted charming; that was charming indeed, but that had no effect on me anymore. His hands searched for my lower back and his lips aimed at mine, but I turned my head away and escaped his touch, taking my distance.

"You're still upset about last time? I'm sorry! I shouldn't have said what I've said."

"I'm not here to talk about that," I stopped him.

I could see on his face that he was anxious to hear what I wanted to say. He sat on his bed and patted the mattress beside him as an invitation to join him, which I declined, not wanting to be too close to him. We had remained silent for a moment, and the atmosphere started to be heavy. I took a deep breath and turned to him, looking straight into his eyes. Today was the day I was being honest. Today was the day my heart would speak for me.

"I've to break up with you, Lewis" I let out.

"What are you talking about?" he asked confusedly.

"I'm leaving you. We can't be together anymore."

"You can't break up with me. We're engaged Freya."

"Oh really? Are we engaged? Where's the ring?" I asked showing him my left hand. "With all the money you have, you couldn't even buy me a ring. You never did anything, you just thought I was yours forever just because you managed to make me fall in love with you. But the problem is I don't love you anymore, because you're not the same anymore." Words came out of my mouth so easily, nothing could stop me.

"But I can make you fall in love with me again if that's the problem. I can be that Lewis again! Give me a chance," he pleaded as he stood up to come to me.

"I can't. And don't lie to yourself, you know as well as I do that there is no love between us anymore. You don't love me Lewis. You don't like the fact that I volunteered. You don't like the fact that I'm independent. You just like the idea of having a fiancée. But you'll find another one."

"But it's you I want, baby! It's always been you and only you!" he took my face in his hands and looked at me with imploring eyes, making my heart soften and my guilt grow stronger.