٤

Picture of Imaan to the top^^^

Dedicated to PriNsSShNY

You've got grace in your eyes,
Like I have never seen before.
You bring out the gentleman in me,
So don't be surprised when I hold the door.
~S.A.H

Elham's POV.

After performing my Salah, I went downstairs.

My mother was standing in the kitchen, cooking lunch and i decided to join her.

"Ummi. Let me help you" I smiled, collecting the knife in her hands, chopping the onions she formerly was.                                                                                                                                  Ummi was an arabic word meaning 'my mother'. I was told by a lot of relatives that i was a replica of my mother from when she was younger and when i went through a stack of her old pictures, i couldn't help but agree. We were mostly the only ones home because my father travelled a lot due to the nature of his work. I didn't mind my father's absence, besides it wasn't as if he cared about us anyways. Whenever he was around, our home felt like a prison, it became hell. My father had done terrible things to us that sometimes made me wonder if he was my real dad. Fortunately, my mum and i were always there for each other and i just could not imagine a life without her. She was my mentor, my anchor, my problem solver and someone i could talk to at anytime, my favorite person and my best friend.

"No it's fine. Besides, you made breakfast"
She protested, grabbing the knife from my hand.

"But-"

"Really Elham, it's fine. Why are you here anyways? I thought you were at Imaan's place all this while" her eyes were now watery, from the onions.

I would have laughed, except tears were also dripping from my eyes uncontrollably.

Remind me why people still use onions?

"Uh ummi, I think I'm gonna do just that. I'm gonna head off to Imaan's house. I'll be there for a while. Call me if you need me" I said quickly.

And with that, I washed my hands and ran out of the kitchen, rubbing my blurry eyes and trying to stop the tears rolling out from them.

××××

"Elham! I was about to come over. What's wrong? Have you been crying?" My best friend asked, as I made my way to her bed and sat down on the edge.

Taking a deep breath, I wiped the remaining tears off my face and looked at her.

She looked worried. Very worried.

"Calm down. I'm fine!" I pointed out, picking up my phone.

"Then why are your eyes red and puffy? Oh no! Did Asaad break your heart?!"

Seriously though, this girl had to be crazy.

I ignored her question as I scrolled through my phone.
She came close to me and snatched the phone away from hands.
"What?!"
"Why are you crying?"
"I'm not crying" . "Onions" I muttered