Chapter 11

I could tell that something was wrong the second we crossed back into DawnStar territory.

The car hadn't even fully crossed the pack line when Kaden, Jasper and Carrick all went blank, their eyes glazing as their mindlinks kicked in.

Once again I had found myself laughing at something that Jasper was doing. He was telling me about a time before Kaden had become the alpha, roughly four years ago, and how they'd snuck into a club called "the wolf cave", a popular human club that served werewolf drinks if you had the right coloured wristband.

Kaden had gone right in, drank four pints and then danced for ten minutes before he was in the bathroom, puking his guts up before passing out over the toilet.

Kaden looked mortified that Jasper had told me, but I found it absolutely hysterical. But still, I placed my hand in his and send him an amused smile, which he eventually returned, his thumb drawing circles gently on my skin.

Just as Kaden was about to tell me "the truth" or just his side of the story, all three of the wolves in the back snapped up into a rigid sitting position, their eyes glazed over as information was relayed to them.

It was like when your mobile data is off and you finally find wifi, how every Snapchat, Instagram, twitter notification comes buzzing through all at once, and your phone is bombarded with it all and trying to keep up.

It was like thousands of conversations, thousands of voicemails were rushing through their heads at the same time, and they're trying to keep on top of them.

Carrick disconnected first, and he didn't say anything, just looked out of the window with his jaw tightly clenched.

Jasper's eyes eventually roll back a few minutes later, and when his eyes finally focus on me, he sends me a pitying glance. "You're not going to have a happy mate for the next few days."

"Why?" I press almost desperately, because I hate feeling out of the loop. So many decisions and important plans were kept secret to me at my old pack, partly because I was such a loose cannon. I was never involved in pack meetings, never allowed to go to pack trainings for the risk I may get myself so worked up I'd shift.

My father was so occupied with protecting me, that he never taught me how to be an alpha. He never let me live.

"It's pack business that you're not a part of Lola." Carrick snaps icily his eyes burning with resentment. "Learn you place and when to butt out."

My mouth drops open, and Jasper's face mirrors mine. I know I'm new, but I'm pretty sure Carrick knows that I'm Kaden's mate and future luna, and if Kaden had heard that I doubt Carrick would be alive now.

"Listen here you little shi..." I start, my voice dripping with venom, but Kaden emerges from the mind link just before I could give Carrick a piece of my mind, and I only needed one brief look at him to know that he wasn't going to give me any answers, and now wasn't the time to tell him what Carrick just said.

His jaw was set and his eyes murderous, his free fist clenched in his lap and he looks five seconds away from punching somebody or something.

I know that I'm nosy, it's a bad habit that I'm trying to get over. But my wolf hearing can't listen to mindlink, and I'm not that desperate to know that I'd ask Kaden when he looks like this.

I'll take my chances and wait for him to tell me thank you very much.

I do send him him one of my "you better tell me what the hell is going on" glances, and I think he caught the drift because he nodded stiffly, his hand bringing mine up to his lips without looking, kissing my knuckles gently.