Chapter 35

Unedited

➖➖➖🐺➖➖➖

I hated going against Kaden's orders. I didn't want to leave the bunker, or the terrified people inside. But the fear consuming my entire being, creeping through my body like the black veins occupying my skin, the fear of losing Kaden, of losing my child, is powering the muscles in my legs and forcing them to move.

Powering my tongue to whisper the masking spell to hide everyone inside the bunker once I've left, it's all that's keeping my head held high and my resolve strong. If it wasn't for my fear of losing everything, I'd have run and hoped for the best.

Deep down I know that this is the right thing to do. It's better to face Allivander alone than him find me inside that bunker with all of those people. He would kill them all, even little Dane, I knew it in every fibre of my being that he would.

If he found me even when I was masked with cloaking magic, then I wasn't safe down there.

"Why does being noble and selfless have to be so cold." I grumble to myself, wrapping my arms tighter around my body as the wind nips at the skin it finds under my hoodie. I didn't take a coat into the bunker because I figured I wouldn't be leaving in the middle of the night, so I'm stuck with my hoodie and my thin sports leggings that I will never be wearing on an evening again.

The air is cold and bitter, the darkness swirling around my being like the grim reaper's cloaks, tangling with my feet and clinging to my skin like the heavy scent of fear in the air. I can smell the subtle scent of blood with every inhale, mixed with the sweat of other supernatural species. It's dancing in the heavy wind blowing from the direction of the massacre that I'm trying to end right here right now.

The frost bitten twigs littering the woods snap like brittle bones beneath my feet, the sharp crack filling the silent air surrounding myself as I walk towards "where all this started", or whatever Allivander quoted. It didn't take very long to work out where all this began, where we first learnt about his plot without even realising it.

I take myself back to walking with Kaden, the dull lifeless eyes, the hole in the door boy's chest, and I shiver involuntarily, and this time it's not because of the cold. Remembering the death of the vampire sends chills of disgust and fear through my whole body.

I know what Allivander is capable of, yet I still walk willingly towards him.

I pass the sign welcoming us to the lake space, an old wooden sign nailed to two poles protruding from the ground, and feel my stomach crawl up my throat and sit there, a sickness washing over me.

"What the hell am I doing?!" I scold myself, running my hands through my hair in frustration, my feet hovering just after the sign in hesitation.

I can't just walk to Allivander willingly. He might be calling to me because the battle is already won by us, and he wants to cause final damage. He might not have known where I was, he may have just found my mind, the cloaking spell could've worked.

I didn't think this through, and I'm so close to giving myself on a platter that I feel my knees weaken. He probably already knows I'm here, and without Shiva I'm a sitting duck.

And Kaden, oh god Kaden will never forgive me for putting myself in danger whilst carrying his child. He'll never forgive himself for leaving me in that bunker if I'm not okay, if our child isn't okay.

"What the hell am I doing?" I repeat to myself, mumbling the words out loud against my fabric clad knee. "I shouldn't be here."

"That's right," a familiar voice scolds, and I whip my head around in shock to be with someone. "What the hell are you doing outside of the bunker?"