Chapter One

I awoke with a start as three sharp ringing barks echoed throughout the barn: a warning signal. I sprung to my feet and grabbed the emergency supply bag I always kept in here for situations like this. I ran to the front of the barn where Fala stood, her fur on end and her teeth bared.

I looked at the sky and noticed the sun slowly making its decent downwards. I’d taken a small nap after the horses and I finished plowing one of the fields. I looked around and noticed the main canal, filled with large boats traveling along it, carrying a massive amount of evacuating people. There were loud yells, booms and crashes coming from within the Shiganshina district, on the other side of the wall. Then suddenly a Titan came crashing through Wall Maria. A gasp escaped my mouth and I froze.

Titans slowly began flowing in, for now they were distant dots in my vision, about a mile or so away.  I finally came back to reality and ran for the fields my parents were working in. They’d decided to go to one of the outer fields, closer to the hole in the wall, to my dismay. I grabbed one of the workhorses and rode out to the field. The closer I got, the louder the screams were, as the Garrison Regiment fought the humongous monsters. My parents came into view, they were running as fast as they could, but I could see a titan coming their way.

Yells and cries escaped my mouth as I willed them to run faster, but no amount of will could help.

 “Run away!” My father bellowed.

“Run Iris!” My mother shrieked, tears already spilling from her eyes. 

The creature grabbed them both and held them up. I tried to make my horse run faster, but I could only watch as the monster lowered them into its mouth.

Tears spilled from my eyes as blood soaked the creatures face, my parents’ blood. My heart filled with grief and sadness, yet, suddenly, a flare of anger exploded within me.

“Just as we practiced Fala! Up!” I yelled to her, my vision blurring.

She climbed one of the smaller trees that were nearby, using her teeth and claws, then jumped to higher ones as we continued forward. I got the Titan’s attention and my stomach flipped as it began chasing me. I halted where I was as I waited for Fala to get into position. The monster continued to advance towards me, and just as it was about to grab me I called out, “Kill!” in a sharp tone.

            Fala jumped, her body a shadow as she passed under the sun, the Titan barely even noticed her, and if it did, it didn’t seem to care, as its attention remained on devouring me. Fala’s teeth dug deep into the creature’s neck, her claws extending the cut, at the nape to be exact. As it fell, I lead my horse away and Fala followed.

I tried to give a triumphant grin to her, but tears continued to spill down my face from the loss of my parents.

******

I kept my head down as I continued to walk, a single duffle bag on my shoulders. Fala breathed heavily from within.

“Just a little longer girl, we’re almost there,” I whispered to her.

I was given my cadet uniform and cabin number as they let me enter, they didn’t bother to check my bag as a scuffle began somewhere behind me. I looked around the area, many new arrivals continued to the cabin area, and I decided to follow the stream of people. I finally found my cabin and bed, and placed my duffel bag gently on top. I quickly put on my uniform, and then opened my bag and Fala jumped out.

Another person in my cabin gasped, “Why do you have a dog with you?” she asked incredulously.

             I didn’t answer, and just walked out of the cabin, to the area where we were all supposed to line up to meet our commander.  Fala sat next to me, her head reached above my hip, her dark eyes stared straight ahead and her black fur shined in the sun’s light. She’d grown a lot since Wall Maria fell. At the time she was only 1 and a few months, and in the years I’d waited to finally be able to join the cadets, we’d both grown a good amount.