Chapter Seven

I gasped slightly as he said these words, my eyes widening in shock. I get to go to the Scout Regiment? I had to compose myself before my features could break into a large bashful grin. I managed to keep a straight face and stared straight ahead. Eren and I were lead to a separate room once the hearing was over, and the decision was made. Captain Erwin (at least I knew his name) and a few other elites from the Scout Regiment were with us.

            Eren was lead to a couch, and I just walked to a corner and stood, while Fala sat vigilant next to me. They were talking to Eren while I stood in a sort of daze. Movement to my right indicated that someone had walked next to me.

            “I’m Petra, you’re Iris right?” the girl asked cheerfully.

            I nodded in reply, “and this is Fala,” I added, gesturing to her.

            She smiled, “Nice to meet you, then she put her hand in front of Fala’s nose so that she could sniff it. Fala sniffed a few times, then licked her hand and turned away, vigilant again.

            Petra giggled, “That means she approves,” I said giving her a small smile.

            She smiled wider, “So, did you actually want to join the Scout Regiment? Or were you planning on joining the Military Regiment since you were 4th in your Training Corps?” She asked, her face contorting as if she’d eaten something sour.

            “From the beginning I wanted to join the Scout Regiment, my father inspired me,” I stated, very sure of myself.

            “He’s part of the Scout Regiment? I hope I can meet him someday!” She said happily.

            I looked away, trying my best not to grimace, “He was part of the Scout Regiment, but a wound put him out of commission… I wish you could met him,” I ended in a smaller voice. 

“You wish I could?” She questioned quietly, then realization hit her, “Oh, I’m so sorry! I didn’t realize…”

I paused before I answered, making sure I wouldn’t sound gravely and weak, or at the brink of tears (which, truthfully, I was). “It’s fine… he died along with my mother the day Wall Maria fell, I lived only a few miles, from where the wall broke, in farm land behind the Shiganshina District,” I explained to her.

Her eyes were wide and apologetic now, “I’m so sorry,” she whispered. 

I shook my head slightly, “Don’t be, it’s not your fault, it’s those damn titans,” I said with a small smile, trying to brighten the mood and change the subject.

“Is that your goal?” She asked.

“What?” I replied.

“Killing the titans,” she said.

 “My goal is to kill as many titans as possible, but joining the Scout Regiment also means exploring the outside world, and I’ve always wanted to do that,” I stated with my eyes shining slightly in wonder.

 She grinned brightly.

There was a loud noise of someone clearing their throat, and I looked up to find all of the other soldiers watching Petra and I. I realized that none of them had been talking for a long while now, and that they’d heard basically everything. They all stared at me with slight pity, and Eren looked somewhat surprised. The only one who didn’t look at all deterred was Captain Levi.

 I squinted my eyes at them, “What?” I said defensively.

Their eyes averted mostly, then Captain Erwin walked over, “I heard you killed at least nine titans today,” he said approvingly and completely business like, changing the subject.

I gladly went along with the change of subject, and then blinked in confusion, “That can’t be right… I’ve only killed,” I paused here and looked down thinking, holding my hand out and counting with my fingers, “Five…. Not nine,” then my eyes widened in realization, “I don’t count Fala’s kills as mine,” I explained, looking back up at him incredulously.

            Fala barked in agreement. Erwin’s eyes widened, and then he nodded, “I see,” he replied with a small apologetic smile.

            Another person in the room, I think his name was Oluo Bozado snickered, and then began to chuckle, and then he was full out laughing and holding his stomach. I scowled at him because the thought of him laughing at Fala made me sick.

            “Quite down, brat,” Captain Levi ordered.

            Oluo covered his mouth with his hand and within a few seconds, had stopped laughing. He coughed and then rubbed a tear from his eye, “Sorry sir,” he said to Levi, and then turned to Erwin and I, “I’ve just never seen Captain Erwin mistaken before, and about something such as this… I apologize sir, I meant no disrespect,” Oluo stated towards Captain Erwin.

            “What’s that supposed to mean?” I said quietly with my eyes closed in annoyance.

I opened my eyes, as he was about to reply.

            “Tch, never mind,” I state, then walk towards the door, “If Fala and I aren’t going to be taken seriously in the Scout Regiment, then I might as well join the slackers and garbage in the Military Regiment,” I growled lowly with my back turned to them before exiting with Fala by my side.

I walked outside and stood there, closed my eyes, and then just breathed. A few moments later I heard the light steps of Captain Levi walking over.

I didn’t open my eyes as I talked, “I apologize for snapping at your soldier.”

 He sighed, “I suppose he deserved it for being rude,” was his reply.

My eyes fluttered open and I looked over at him. His face held a bored expression, as always.

“I don’t really talk with people much, and… even if it was rude, I’m not angry… humans are curious, naïve, and stupid things…” I whisper to myself, “Which is why I much prefer animals,” I state petting Fala on the top of her head.

I reached my hands up to rub my temples, “Sorry for mumbling to myself,” I took a deep breath and let it out slowly, “talking about my parents’ deaths and then having the only family I have left be insulted, just doesn’t sit well with me,” I stated.

He glanced at me for a moment and then looked away, “That’s understandable,” he stated quietly, then cleared his throat, “Anyways, I only came out here to make sure you didn’t run away or something of the sort, you and Jaegar are under my jurisdiction now, brat,” he explained in a clear voice.

I blushed slightly for rambling on in front of a Captain, and this non-feeling Captain especially. “I apologize for the trouble, sir,” I replied and saluted loosely, and then paused, “may I have permission to take a walk, sir?” I asked, deciding to be polite for now, even with my very sour mood.  

He gave me that same dead look, “Fine, brat, just don’t wander off to far, and don’t make me come searching for you,” he stated, “as if you were a child,” he finished in a lower voice, as he walked back towards the building.

I sighed in frustration as he closed the door behind him. Fala and I began walking aimlessly, as we walked I talked randomly to Fala.

My fists clenched in annoyance,

            “I hate being vulnerable, it makes me feel weak,” I whispered under my breath.

And it just had to be that asshole of a Captain who saw me.