Chapter Eight

After a short walk to cool down, I returned, and they were all just about ready to head out. We were lead to the Scout Regiment’s hideout, which looked completely out of use, and overly fancy. Once we arrived we were to clean out the place and make it actually safe to live in. Captain Levi assigned us different areas of the place to clean, and I traveled to my portion with a bucket, mop, and a few other cleaning supplies. I tied my hair up into a ponytail, put on a facemask and rolled up my sleeves. I began dusting shelves, straightening books, leveling pictures on the walls and spraying cleaners, washing the floors, and overall, using what some might call an excessive amount of cleaning products.

            Even with the massive amount of cleaning products, and forms of cleaning that I used, it didn’t take me long to finish, and I found myself sighing with proudness over the practically sparkling rooms. I walked down the hall to get my next assignment, and passed a sloppily cleaned room. My eyes widened at the sporadic dusted areas, the many spots of dirt on the floor, and the absolutely revolting bookcase.

            I first went to the bookshelf and grabbed the books, dusting and cleaning them. I then placed them back on the shelves in order, and continued on with the duster around the room.

I was on a stool, trying to dust the top of the bookshelf when I heard the clearing of a throat. I had been concentrating deeply because in order to reach the top of the bookshelf with the duster, I had to go on my tippy toes on the stool, and had to balance myself. The clearing of the throat caught me off guard and I lost my concentration and fell. Hard. On my butt.

            “Ow,” I said staring up at the ceiling, my shirt flying up to reveal my stomach.

            Captain Levi came over and stood staring down at me. His weird cleaning outfit almost made me laugh. He looked hilarious, and kind of adorable. Wait…  wha—

            “This room is assigned to Jaegar, what are you doing?” he said in a monotone voice, though I swear I saw some pink dusting his cheeks.

            “I finished my portion of the house and saw this room was absolutely hideous still, so I’m cleaning it, better,” I replied, fixing my shirt, but still lying on the floor.

            “Jaegar’s other rooms were disgusting, so I suppose it’s all right, but you should let him learn from his mistakes. I’ll have him finish on his own,” Levi said to me.

            He then began to walk out, “I’m checking your rooms next, brat. So, you should come along because you almost definitely missed a spot,” he called out behind him. 

            I sighed and rose to my feet, gathering my cleaning supplies and following him. I waited at the end of the hallway as he looked into each room. I walked over to one of the rooms and found him walking around, his precise eyes searching every corner and nook in the room. He seemed troubled as he walked over to the doorway where I stood.

            “Well?” I asked expectantly.

            “Perfect,” he mumbled almost inaudibly to himself.

            I almost smiled, and when he realized what he’d said, a very slight shade of pink dusted his cheeks, and then he shook his head a bit.           

            “They’re adequate,” he stated, “go do the rooms further down the hall,” he ordered, then brushed past me. 

            “Yes sir,” I replied even though he was gone.

A large smile spread across my face. It felt strange to meet someone that cared about cleanliness as much as I do, and the fact that it was the Commander made it all the more strange, and comical.

Thinking over the conversation, I almost laughed out loud to myself. It may be weird of me to think this of my Commander, but he is an absolute dork sometimes.