Chapter Eleven

I was walking over to the stables to take Killian for a ride, when I noticed a large group of people heading in my direction. To avoid being road kill, I scooted over closer to the wall of the castle that had been my home for a week or so now. I found Eren standing with a few other people, so I stood with them, waiting for the group to pass.

            As they walked, I noticed Armin and Mikasa in the group, along with Sasha and Connie. Eren ran over, and I decided to follow, just to greet them.

            Eren was talking enthusiastically with everyone, while I just stood with Fala awkwardly. An arm wrapped around my shoulders and I froze.

             “Hey, Iris, how’ve you been? Did you miss me?” a failure of a flirtatious voice stated, that could only be Jean’s 

            “Hi, Jean,” I replied in a leveled tone, slightly uncomfortable and annoyed at the feeling of his arm around my shoulders. 

            He pouted at my steeliness, and backed off as Fala nipped his ankle.

            “Still got that flea-bag with you, huh?” He said in a joking voice as he stepped away slightly.  

             My eyebrows knit together, and then I kicked the back of his knee and elbowed his back, causing him to trip forward. I caught him before he hit the ground.

             “You’re not funny, Jean,” I said tiredly, and then let him drop to the floor.

             I stood up straight again, nodded my goodbye to Mikasa, and waved behind myself to the others.

            As I walked away from the group I felt eyes on my back. I turned and met the dead stare of Captain Levi, who upon making eye contact averted his gaze. I shook my head and continued walking. 

***** 

A month or two was spent in preparation for our trek outside of the walls. The new recruits were given their uniforms and were taught the essentials of the formation, received their horses, were taught how to use the flare guns, and signals, and much more.

            I spent my time mostly with Fala, once and a while Petra and I would go for a ride, or would train. Mikasa also ate and chatted with me sometimes, specifically about the occurrences that involved Eren while she wasn’t with him.

            The days before our trek were spent celebrating. I didn’t much understand what there was to celebrate, but I didn’t object to anyone having fun and being happy before their possible deaths. I didn’t feel like taking part in their celebrations though, and instead sat on my bed reading. I’d rather relax and feel in my right mind before a fight, but that’s just my opinion.

            I decided to get a drink from the mess hall, where some of the celebrating was commencing. Fala had been sleeping outside; do to Captain Levi demanding that he didn’t want her shedding fur everywhere. So, I was alone for now.

            Upon reaching the mess hall, I noticed some unfamiliar and familiar faces alike. Eren, Mikasa, and Armin were in a corner talking and laughing and joking. Sasha was eating tons and tons only a few seats away. Connie sat nervously as a seemingly drunk Jean tried to persuade him to have some beer.

            I sighed and quickly got my drink. I saw some of the Special Operations Squad a little ways away, and Petra waved at me. Her cheeks were slightly pink as she gulped down another swig of her beer. I waved back slightly and shook my head while grinning at the laughable expression on her face.