Chapter Ten

The next couple of days went by pretty smoothly. Different strategies were being made on how to control Eren, what to do in emergencies, and Zoe figured out that Eren could only transform into a Titan if he had a specific purpose.

             The other day I’d met the two prisoner titans, Zoe had named them Bean and Sonny. I watched a few of her tests with interest, and was also disturbed at her tactics. I’d been training alone for a while as well, well alone except for Fala. Once in a while one of the Special Operations Squad would come by and give me tips, or just observe and complement me. Specifically Petra, she would come by almost every day and watch, or join in with practicing. We sparred a few times and usually ended tired, but laughing still.

            Only once did Captain Levi pass. He stood watching me as I practiced with just Fala, and I hadn’t even noticed until I heard his footsteps walking away. His retreating figure was a shadow in the sunset, but who else was that short and had that haircut? Not to mention his light gait or style of walking that I’d gotten used to.

            This morning I’d decided to sleep in for once, and was awoken by loud screeching. I dressed quickly and walked into one of the clearings to find a hysteric Zoe surrounded by a bunch of other soldiers. I walked over and heard whisperings and murmurs from the crowd.

            Apparently, Zoe had just returned from where Sonny and Bean were kept, and they’d been killed, leaving only their blackened skeletons. I sighed, wondering who could’ve done it. I heard some of the higher ranked soldiers talking about how they were searching all of the new recruits before they were to be placed in their new regiments.

            I shook my head and walked away from the growing crowd, not at all in the mood to deal with people. Fala and I walked over to our usual tree, and I took out the second book I’d started since being here. It was a lot quieter here than it was back in the clearing and I breathed the fresh air in content.

            Footsteps alerted me to someone approaching. I looked up to see Captain Levi walking in my direction. He stopped in front of me with his usual dull expression.

            “Can’t you do anything useful, brat?” He asked in a dry tone.

             “I haven’t been given orders, sir,” I replied distracted, but still jokingly.

            He exhaled deeply, and I could tell he was slowly losing his dreary semblance, and exchanging it for a more turbulent personality.

            “You could still try to accomplish something a bit more favorable for the Regiment,” he stated lowly.

            “I’ve been training and honing my skills for the past week or so. I was hoping to at least get a day off before my comrades; the new recruits, come and fill the place with noise, and before our real training begins for preparations of journeying to the outside world,” I told him, rising to my feet.

            As I began walking past him, he stuck his foot out, and elbowed me in the back, causing me to trip. I caught myself on my hands, but remained on the ground as he put a foot to my back.

            “When are you going to learn some manners and respect, brat,” he asked flatly.

             “When you earn it,” I replied, and used as much force as I could to push myself up.

            I managed to make him stumble back, and I got to my feet. I brushed dirt on my clothes off, and walked away, leaving a silently fuming Levi behind me.