Marketplace

"Ah, Luhan." Xiumin stood up and greeted his brother cheerily as he approached the party. But he was not the only one.

"Zitao!"

Recognition dawned on the other prince's face as he spotted Xuefeng, and his lips curved upwards into a slightest smirk.

None the wiser, Luhan asked, "Which one of you is Maertai Xuefeng?"

He was charming. Charismatic. Cute. His huge doe eyes sparkled, and his dark brown hair was tousled and looked quite messy, unlike the other princes' neat locks. He also appeared lanky, but Xuefeng could see the muscles rippling under the skin. He was certainly a ladies man.

She bowed quickly, identifying herself in response to the Luhan's question. "Greetings to the 12th Prince."

"Oh? Not as rude as before?" The other, dreaded voice drawled. Xuefeng stiffened.

Damn the 4th Prince.

"You know her, Zitao?" Luhan asked. 

Zitao merely smiled wryly in response.

Xuefeng turned to face the 4th Prince, looking at him squarely. She had her hands on her hips, neck straightened and chin thrust out in a futile attempt to match his height. "Before, you knocked over my maid. It was uncalled for."

"Still hasn't changed, I see..."

She could hear laughter. Luhan's low and repeating chortles, Xiumin's chuckles and Zitao's high and clear laughter. It was good-natured, harmless laughter, but she was mad. She did not intend to be funny, or be the butt of a joke, so she curtsied hurriedly and stalked away.

"Hey, Xuefeng, wait up!" Xiumin yelled, and chased after her. "Where are you going? I'm sorry!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xueyin had asked for Xuefeng to accompany her on a shopping trip to the marketplace in search of accessories. As they were walking, Xueyin spoke.

"The Palace is calling for all of the unwed girls to go for the compulsory concubine's selection. I'm afraid that it's a must for you to go."

Xuefeng sighed. The compulsory selection, as her memory of history textbooks told her, was the Emperor's bi-annual selection of concubines and servants to fill the Palace.

Her life was doomed should she be selected as a concubine to Emperor Kangxi, who was infamous for having 79 concubines in his harem, the most throughout Chinese history (and I'm younger than most of his princes!).

If she was not wed to the Emperor, her noble birth stood her a high chance of being wed to one of the princes— as a wife if she was lucky, as a concubine if she was not.

Even if, by some miracle or fluke, she and was not selected altogether, she would be stuck in the palace as a servant for two years. What a great way to waste her time.

Yet, what choice did she have? Running away from the selection was a crime punishable by death, and as the next-of-kin, Xueyin would be killed as well. She couldn't be so selfish, not after how kind Xueyin had been to her.

So here they were, in the marketplace at Xueyin's insistence, shopping for accessories for Xuefeng to doll up and look presentable for the selection. They had come to a shop, and Xueyin was apparently a regular, judging by how the shopkeeper greeted her with familiarity.

"Oh hi!"

The familiarity did not end there. Huixin beamed happily at Xuefeng, accompanied by Huiting. The sisters were probably there for the same reasons as Xuefeng and Xueyin, as Huixin was due to enter the selection as well.

"Hello." Xueyin's voice was meek, but Xuefeng could hear the small, underlying jealousy and bitterness in her voice. She turned away, directing her attention to Xuefeng and the accessory displays, not sparing either sister a second glance.

"I want that one." Huixin and Xuefeng pointed to an elegant bracelet at the same time. They looked up towards each other. Xuefeng was fully expecting some form of tension or confrontation, but to her surprise Huixin immediately smiled and handed the trinket to Xuefeng.

"You can have it. I actually prefer this one," she covered, picking up a slightly less elaborate bracelet.

Xuefeng clasped the bracelet, speechless.

Maybe, Huixin and Huiting aren't as bad as Xueyin suggested. They had been nothing but friendly towards her, and Huixin was even willing to sacrifice something that she wanted to make Xuefeng happy.

Maybe, Xueyin had said those words out of jealousy that her true love had someone else as his wife, and she was only a concubine; despite Yixing loving her with everything that he had, and she was a wife in all but name. She wanted to turn Xuefeng onto the sisters, cause some unhappiness and drama that she might be able to benefit from.

The pains of Chinese society... Xuefeng sighed, as she walked with Xueyin back to their manor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, the 11th Prince is here. And that's the 4th Prince with him, you met him yesterday."

The Eighth Prince's Manor constantly saw the other princes as guests, and today was no exception. Xueyin was quick to identify the princes as they spotted them from afar in the gardens. The unspoken meaning was clear; she might be selected to marry one of them, so she had to learn who was who.

"He's... Sehun?" Xuefeng checked.

Xueyin nodded. "Don't address them by their names though, or you'll lose your head. Unless you're one of their wives or concubines. Or in the case of the 10th Prince, if you have his permission. The 11th Prince is too young to be married, though. It's the older princes that you have to really take note of."

"What about the 4th Prince?" Xuefeng asked, curious.

"Oh, he has quite a few of women around him," Xueyin shrugged. "But rumours say that he never pays them any attention."

"Does he have a wife?"

"Not yet. But a lot of concubines." Xueyin confirmed.

Yixing, who was with speaking with the two princes, looked up and noticed them. He beckoned them over.

"Zitao and Sehun are in charge of the girls once they enter the Palace for the selection," Yixing stated. "Okay, not technically in charge of them, but they are close to the people who are in charge. I just asked them to watch out for my little sister-in-law here." He flashed Xueyin a victorious smile, and Xueyin just had to smile back.

"Apologies for the inconvenience, and thank you." She bowed low to Sehun and Zitao, who smiled and nodded in return.

"We'll make sure to take care of her." Sehun laughed good-naturedly.

"Oh yes, veeeeeery weeeeeeell." Zitao dragged out his words, flashing a mischievous grin at Xuefeng.

She resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Written by FirelightShadow and CrystallineSnow :)