Crime

"Your Majesty, please have some tea," said Qiaoying, setting the porcelain teacup beside Xuefeng.

"Thanks," said Xuefeng gratefully, picking up the cup and taking a long sip, feeling refreshed as the cool honey citrus tea soothed her throat.

It was the height of summer, and a heavy heat had descended upon the Palace. From the wooden bannisters to the stone tiles and even each hairpin on her head, Xuefeng could feel everything radiating heat. She dressed light, but 'light' in the Qing dynasty was still a long-sleeved, long dress with a tight collar. As the Empress, she couldn't dress in what was considered 'inappropriate' at the time, even in the privacy of her bedchambers. So she had to make do with changing her dresses more frequently, and instructing Qiaoying to pay the laundry servants more money for their efforts.

"Your Majesty! Concubine Yu has come to visit you," called a servant from outside the room.

"Qingqian? How lovely, I was just feeling bored, show her in."

Qingqian took her seat beside Xuefeng, and casually picked up her teacup, examining its contents. "Is this honey citrus tea?" she queried.

Xuefeng smiled and nodded. Qingqian chuckled, "It's one of the most refreshing things to enjoy in the heat of summer. Unfortunately, a concubine of my rank is not allowed to have it. Since I'm here, could I be so bold as to ask the Empress to spare me some?"

"Of course. You can have as much as you like as long as you are here. That will make you come visit me more often," joked Xuefeng.

Qiaoying served up a cup to Qingqian, just as Honghui bounded into the room. He was all red-faced and sweaty from playing in the sun with his cousins, the children of the other Princes. He tugged at Xuefeng's skirt and whined, "Mother Empress, I'm thirsty..."

"Here, have some honey citrus tea," offered Xuefeng, passing her teacup to Honghui.

His fingers tightened around the porcelain teacup, when Qingqian shouted, "No!"

All heads whipped around at Qingqian's outburst. "I-I read in a medicinal book yesterday that the acidity of citrus teas hurt the intestines of young children. Since Honghui is young, perhaps water would be best for him."

"Ah, is that so? All the more for me then," Xuefeng replied, bringing the cup to her lips and downing it in one shot.

Qiaoying fetched a cup of water for Honghui, and he gulped it down greedily, before running out to join his cousins in whatever game they were playing.

Xuefeng's brow creased in concern as she noticed the blinding sun outside. "Qingqian, when you were reading that medicinal book, did you come across any foods or herbs that would help in preventing heatstroke in this weather? I'm worried that the children will fall sick from the heat, and I would like to make a dessert or drink that could help prevent that."

"I... I..." Qingqian stuttered. "I'm not sure anything specific to heatstroke, though I presume the usual 'cooling' foods and herbs, like mung beans and barley will help."

"I'm sure it would. Qiaoying—" Before Xuefeng could give the instruction, a wave of nausea shot up her throat, and she doubled over, clasping the edge of the table.

"Are you alright, Your Majesty?" Qiaoying hurried to support Xuefeng's rapidly limping body. A tightening pressure assumed a vice grip on her head, and she struggled to stay conscious.

She had experienced this sensation only once before: when she was hit by the poison arrow on the battlefield in Xinjiang.

She tasted blood pooling in her mouth and she didn't have the strength to hold it back, allowing it to stream down her chin and staining her robes.