The Start

Months of training had finally paid off, and this was the first time that Xuefeng was allowed into the Emperor's study, to serve him the tea that she had made.

Huixin and Zhiyu had both had their turn, and they had emerged knees weak from nerves. They had said that it was terrifying to be in the presence of the Son of Heaven, where a slight misstep could result in severe punishment, or cost them their lives.

Knowing that she was new, the eunuch quickly took the tray from Xuefeng, and handed the tea to the Emperor. He looked up from his work, and just as Xuefeng was leaving, he called her to his side.

She sunk to her knees, just as she was taught to if the Emperor ever saw the need to address her.  "Your Majesty."

"What's your name, young lady?"

Xuefeng stiffened. "It's Maertai Xuefeng, Your Majesty."

She didn't know what to do. The Emperor had not dismissed her yet, and she did not dare to move a muscle. She dared to lift her head just a little, enough to catch the gaze of the eunuch, and he sent her signals with his eyes, telling her to stay where she was until the emperor acknowledged her once again.

They were right.  The Emperor was terrifying.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity of waiting, the emperor looked up again.

"How many books have you read, Xuefeng?"

"Not a lot, I'm afraid, Your Majesty."

He nodded, glancing up from the various reports from court officials that lay strewn across the table.

"What do you think of the poetry during the Song Dynasty?"

"Well... I think that the poetry is exceptionally good during the Song Dynasty. Many pieces sound like actual songs, and especially Mr. Su Zi Zhan's poetry. I particularly like the one about the moon, the one that he wrote during the Mid-Autumn festival."

The emperor nodded, pleased.

"How about the politics during the Tang Dynasty?" He asked, putting the letter down.

Xuefeng suddenly stiffened again. Her memories were jolted. This was roughly the time when the current Crown Prince started to lose favour in the Emperor's eyes for his philandering ways, and the princes started to divide and take political stances. A few years later, they would start to form political alliances and fight for the throne.

The letter in the emperor's hands was probably a letter from one of the princes or a court official, recommending another price for the position of Crown Prince, or defending the Crown Prince's worth.

"Your Majesty. I feel that the sons of the Tang's emperor were brave. I am not certain of the circumstances that they were in, but the second prince did have his reasons for killing his older brother for the throne. The second prince became a good emperor, though. The outcome was not as bad as people expected at all; in fact, one might argue that life was better under the second prince, better than if his brother had taken the throne. But it is, and will always remain, a hypothetical 'what if'. It just proves to show that no one can predict what will happen." She answered wittily.

The Emperor chuckled. "You're really as intelligent as they say. You may be dismissed."

She bowed, and left, clutching her hands tightly in relief.

Maybe, not so terrifying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I have a letter from the 8th Prince!" called Huixin, waving said letter in her hands as she bounded over to Xuefeng and Zhiyu in their shared room. "It's addressed to all three of us."

"All of us?" Zhiyu was a little skeptical, since she had never met any of the princes.

They piled onto the bed, Huixin in the middle as she opened the letter and read out loud:

"Hello Xuefeng, Huixin and Zhiyu. We write to ask a favor of the three of you. Since you are serving the Emperor and have a good chance of talking to him, it would be a great help if you could remember what he told you about the Palace and everything concerning the heir to the throne. We understand if you refuse, and will not hold it against you."

Huixin folded the letter up. "Well, I don't mind helping. It's natural that they're curious to know who is in line to the throne right?"

Xuefeng shrugged her, her mind whirling. She didn't want to take sides. Politics was dangerous, and she was a disposable pawn that could be silenced by the opposing side of whoever's side the took. Especially when she knew that the 8th Prince and his allies were either going to be killed or captured once the 4th Prince took power. She didn't want herself to fall in such a state.

"I think I'll stay neutral for now." Xuefeng sighed. "I feel uncomfortable doing this," she told Huixin, who was already penning down a reply.

"And you, Zhiyu?"

"Is the 9th Prince involved?" Zhiyu asked, a blush creeping onto her cheek. Xuefeng raised an eyebrow at her, smirk on her lips.

Huixin flipped the letter over, and found the names of the princes. "8th Prince Yixing, 9th Prince Yifan and 10th Prince Xiumin."

"Okay I'll do it." Zhiyu tried to remain nonchalant, but failed miserably.

Xuefeng laughed and slung an arm around Zhiyu. "Good luck with him~" and they danced around the room, forgetting all about the reply that they had just passed to the courier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I didn't expect Xuefeng to say no," Xiumin remarked to Yixing, who was looking at the girls' reply. "I might not know much about politics, but I know that trying to stay neutral is the most dangerous thing; neither side will offer you protection. She really is naive."

"Perhaps she isn't." Yifan remarked from the other side of the room. "Perhaps she is already working for the other side."

Yixing smiled his mysterious smile.

"It's too early to assume... But let's not leave things to chance. She is well-learned, and has unique spirit. The emperor is bound to discuss important matters of state with her. When she's ready, she had to be on our side. I'll make sure of it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~