Horse Race

When Xuefeng and Zhiyu approached the race grounds, they found it already flooded with princes, their wives as well as numerous prized stallions. The cacophony from humans and beasts alike was deafening.

The eunuch directed them to an open tent in which the Emperor sat, while two stewards led their horses into the stables.

Xuefeng and Zhiyu continued their duties of tea serving while the Emperor chatted with his princes.

"Since we have the Mongolian stallions with us today, let us have a race between the princes! Xuefeng and Zhiyu, since you both have a stallion each, go join the princes and have some fun." He smiled kindly, paternal instincts overflowing. He was much too old for horse-racing, but watching the younger generation have fun made him feel young again.

A smile graced Xuefeng's lips, and she proceeded to change into riding clothes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thorn was already at the starting line when Xuefeng stepped out in light purple riding clothes.

She had to admit she loved them. It was similar to the regular dresses, but shorter and wider, and she wore a pair of embroidered leggings inside. It gave her the freedom and flexibility like modern riding wear, but it was much more elegant and feminine.

Hey, she was a woman too, and she needed to be a little vain sometimes.

Xuefeng leapt onto Thorn and grabbed the reins with practiced ease.

To her left was Zhiyu, who was smiling nervously. She was inexperienced, and was a little worried about going up against experienced riders like the princes and Xuefeng, in front of the Emperor no less, even though it was just a friendly competition with no hard feelings.

And to Xuefeng's right was— urgh, of all people— Zitao.

"Let's hope you don't end up last," he mocked.

Xuefeng rolled her eyes, refusing to give him the satisfaction of her attention.

"Ready... and GO!"

The yellow flag dropped, and Xuefeng dug her heels into Thorn's sides.

She shot forward.

Zitao was close beside her, and so was Jongin, Yifan and Luhan.

They're not bad... Oh, right, the Manchurians originated from the plains, and horse-riding is a big part of their culture. The princes spent their childhoods doing this for fun. Xuefeng urged Thorn into a sprint.

Before long, Luhan was thrown to the back.

Xuefeng leant forward, and pressed on.

Gradually, Jongin and Yifan's horses disappeared from the corner of Xuefeng eyes.

Only Zitao was left, racing neck to neck with Xuefeng.

Ahead, the finish line came into sight.

Come on Thorn... Just a little more... Just a little more...

She felt Thorn's muscles tensing in exhaustion.

Just a little more...

Competitiveness took over the running of Xuefeng's body. She wanted to win, she was desperate for the win. Losing was out of the question, especially not to Zitao.

Xuefeng leaned forward and grabbed Thorn's neck. Holding onto the reins tightly with her other hand, she brought her right foot up from where it was on Thorn's side. She could have easily slid right off the moving animal, but she managed to maintain a precarious balance, with only her hands and left foot keeping her on Thorn's back.