Concubines

Today was the day.

Today was the day where the new concubines would enter the harem, the day where Xuefeng had to begin dealing with more jealous women than just Noble Lady Nian and the other concubines from when Zitao was Prince.

The new concubines were starting off at the Female Attendant rank. Of course, if they proved themselves worthy, they may be moved up the rankings.

According to protocol, the ten new concubines had to pay their respects to the Empress, Xuefeng, on their first day in the Palace.

She received them in her throne room. Wenyi, as Consort, had her seat beside Xuefeng. The other Noble Ladies were seated below them, in order of seniority.

"May the new concubines enter to pay their respects to the Empress!" cried the eunuch.

A flurry of colourful silk swept into the room. The ten concubines were all dressed in light, pastel colours— periwinkle, mint, lavender— so as not to overshadow Xuefeng's golden yellow robes and be seen as disrespectful.

They entered, heads bowed, and knelt before Xuefeng. With practiced ease, they swung their handkerchiefs over their shoulders thrice, in the most formal of Palace greetings.

Xuefeng pressed her lips together and signalled for them to rise to their feet. She had established that they were all well-mannered individuals during her interviews with them, but she did not yet want to let go of the facade of authority, like she easily did with Wenyi.

She signalled for them to take their seats with a flourish of her wrist. Then she spoke, "All of you have been handpicked and are some of the brightest women that our country has to offer. I hope that you will use your intellect and talents to serve our country by assisting the Emperor. If you do well, you and your family will be rewarded handsomely."

The concubines bowed and chorused their assent with small smiles on their faces. But there was no telling what masks they wore, and what thoughts lay behind.

Xuefeng was uneasy. Zitao had assured Xuefeng that he only had her and her only in his heart, and she believed and trusted in him fully. But with her pregnancy, and the ravishing beauties around him, would Zitao be able to keep to her and her only?

Xuefeng honestly didn't know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What do you think of the new concubines?" asked Xuefeng.

"They are generally quite good. They are knowledgeable in culture and the arts, and with some exposure, they'll be able to comment meaningfully on matters of state and society. You've got a good eye," replied Wenyi.

The duo were having tea in a pavilion, and were discussing their thoughts on the new concubines.

"I think Geng Qingqian is the most learned of all of the concubines, and she's good with her words too," continued Wenyi. "Song Meiyan is knowledgeable as well, but she's not as good at defending her opinions."

"Geng Qingqian is definitely learned. She's read The Great Learning and Mencius, and she's barely sixteen. I see what you mean about Song Meiyan being too nice; but then again, you could see this non-confrontational personality as a positive personality trait."

"It's only been a few weeks, and it's barely enough time to get to know someone well. I guess only time will prove whether your decisions were right," concluded Wenyi.

"Your Majesty!" called Qiaoying from outside the pavilion, interrupting the conversation. "The Emperor has sent a gift for you."

Wenyi gave Xuefeng a cheeky look and a small smile, which Xuefeng returned. "Bring it in."

Two eunuchs moved an elaborately-carved wooden box into the pavilion and placed it on the table. Xuefeng sent the servants away, leaving only herself and Wenyi in the pavilion.

The first thing she saw upon opening the box was a slip of paper with Zitao's writing on it, sat atop a silk wrapping that hid the actual contents of the box.

"What does it say?" asked Wenyi.

Dearest Xuefeng,

I hope you'll like this.

I'll be busy with work tonight, so I can't come by to see you. I'll try to come visit tomorrow. Sorry.

~Zitao

"What's inside?" asked Wenyi eagerly.

Xuefeng parted the silk to reveal an embroidery of colourful peonies in full bloom, encased in a round frame that enabled the picture to be displayed upon a cabinet or table.

Of all the flowers, Xuefeng's favourite were peonies. She felt an inexplicable attraction to the layers of folded petals in bright, lively colours. The women in the Palace traditionally adorned their hairpieces with multitudes of flowers, so there was always a peony to be found upon Xuefeng's crown.

Xuefeng ran her fingers along the picture, feeling the smoothness and detail of every single stitch. The detail in this piece of art was captivating, and the shadows of the petals had been recreated with such lifelike accuracy that it was as if the petals would jump to life from the silk. It was clearly something that the Palace artisans had spent months on creating, and Xuefeng could imagine Zitao putting in the request and pressuring the artisans to create nothing less than a perfect piece.

Even though she saw Zitao infrequently these days, Xuefeng's heart was at ease. If the note and gift showed anything, it wad that he clearly had her in his heart, and thought of her even as he was being swarmed with affairs of state.

She held the embriodery to the light and tilted it, catching the sun's rays on the shiny silk threads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Written by CrystallineSnow