Prom Night: I Love You

photo of Alyssa.

     I had spent my entire senior year being invisible. It's kind of hard to get noticed when you're stuck in the shadows of your best friend. Alyssa my best friend was drop dead gorgeous, flawless porcelain skin, wavey raven black hair that reached just above her butt, pouty pink lips, light green eyes, not only is she beautiful she has the body to match, she basically looks like she hopped out of a magazine. Compared to her stracth that I can't compare to her. I'm slightly taller then her 5'7", same body but I'm just a bit thicker, ebony skin that I've been told to be beautiful, my dark brown hair reaches my shoulders and changes depending on the sunlight outside, and my eyes tend to mimic my hair. Prom is right around the corner and I still didn't have a date or a dress. I really didn't even want to go, But I promised alyssa I would go. This damn school is covered with posters reminding me of it, Prom prom prom, gosh I'm sick of it I can't wait for this year to be over.

     "Malika wait up" I could recognized that voice anywhere I dreamed about it many times not to know it. Stopping I turn and waited for Travis to make he way to me. Travis was the guy I had been crushing on since freshman year. I hated him, but at the same time I couldn't get enough of him. "What do you want, and make it quick cause I'm not going to be be late to class because of you again." crossing my arms and eyeing him. He had that stupid grin on his face again, whenever he was going to say something stupid. "Girl why are you always playing hard to get it's okay if you like me, I know you want some off this." licking his lips and winking at me trying to be seductive. Rolling my eyes, and turning to walk away. On the outside I appear to be calm, but on the inside I'm mentally kicking myself am I that obvious. Fuck I'm screwed. "I don't have time for games, when your done playing games then maybe we could talk, I'm out." his stupid laugh filled the hallway. Grabbing me by the wrist and pulling me closer to him. I guessed I moved back cause I could feel the lockers on my back. His lips were just inches from mine, I could feel his breath on my face. "Go to prom with me?" for a moment I almost lost my cool and said yes. Then I looked and saw a group of his friends and my friends standing there smiling like a bunch of idiots. "Hell no," pushing him away from me. "Get your stank as breath out my face," he breath smelt perfectly fine to me. As of right now I hated his stupid laugh. "I can't stand you Travis, you play too much," He stopped laughing and looked almost hurt. "What have I done to you? I'm not joking go to prom with me." our friends moved closer I guess to hear us better. "Malika go to prom with travis, stop playing you know you want to go with him." Stephanie my second bf, said while placing her hands on her hips. "Fuck no," hell yes, I had been hoping he would ask me to prom all year, he asked me last year too but I couldn't go to prom that year and he had a girlfriend, I didn't need the drama. "Why not" I hadn't noticed Alyssa was standing there, I could tell she found this whole situation right now funny. That stupid grin on her face said so. "Yeah why not" I turned my attention back at Travis. He was really pissing me off right now but I couldn't help notice how good he looked right now. His fade was fresh, and he had his facial hair trimmed a bit. He had on a simple white tee, cargo shorts and some cool greys on. I think those shoes are ugly and overrated but on him they looked good. Man I got it bad. "You know what fuck it, I'm taking you, so when do I get to meet your parents." oh no he didn't "N**** are you deff? We are not going to prom together, and you are not meeting my parents anytime soon." with that I was done, and Ten minutes late to class. Fucking idiot. Gosh I'm so stupid.

     Every year I tell myself the same thing It's just a crush I'll get over it, but this feeling never goes away. It's just a crush get over, it's not like he even likes you like that, he doesn't even like you stop being stupid. Oh that voice in my head is so loud and clear, but I'm not hearing any of it. I never realized how much I liked him until now. I thinking about it the way Alyssa's face lit up when she told me Travis was taking her to prom. If it's just a tiny crush why am I crying over it. After she told me that I was in the worst mood, I couldn't even focus in my classes so I texted my mom to come get me. Now I'm in my room stuck with my thoughts. It's not even that serious why am I crying over something so pointless. They're just going to prom it's not like they're getting married. I wish I could believe that but it's Alyssa somethings bond to happen between them. I should of just said yes, but I was scared that if I did it would turn out that he was just messing with me. Fuck him. Who needs feelings? moments like this are why I've avoided dating. My biggest fear was Rejection. I can't deal with stuff like this. I hate feeling so weak, so vulnerable.