Trick and Treat

Hallow asked for Leiah to sit by him while her father was seated on the opposite side. Vivian was awoken by Tyrell a few moments ago and barely had enough time to change into something more decent. Of course, he did not mention how a giant creature had risen and transformed everything. The minute the confused older woman spotted Hallow, she ran out of the dining room screaming as high as she possibly could. Tyrell was forced to bring the terrified woman back in, seating her as far away from Hallow as he could.

With the royal family, Tyrell, and the castle guards now seated around a black, long dining table- a satisfied Hallow stood up tall and outstretched his arms towards the quiet guests. "I am so glad that you have all taken the time to make it here today. I have invited some very special friends to make some scrumptious, mouth-watering delicacies for everyone. They should be ready at any moment, so please feel free to gaze upon your new world while we wait."

The once bright dining room was now dark as night. Sparkling candlesticks had suddenly become opaque and drenched with cobwebs. Human skulls adorned the long table along with a black raven that cried out and bounced around, pecking at a few individual's fingers. Leiah seemed to be the only human who truly loved the drastic, sudden change Hallow had brought to her home. Her fascination grew more when the sudden sound of a door creaking open caught her attention. Everyone seated turned their heads in time to see a beautiful woman making her way towards them from the darkness.

Hallow clapped his hands together like a child, eager for the gorgeous stranger to serve them all. Leiah watched the woman with surprise, noticing how a pair of black cat ears protruded from her skull. "Catarina, meet the humans. Humans, meet Catarina."

Catarina seemed to be around her late 20's, and her radiant, sharp smile seemed to attract more attention than her ears. "It's a pleasure to finally come face to face with such beautiful humans." A few of the guards began to redden as the seductive figure wheeled over a few shielded dishes to each individual, setting the covered, silver plates before everyone with a quiet hum. "Such a sweetheart, kitten! Please go back and make sure the others aren't acting devious." Leiah watched Catarina bow and disappear, wondering who the 'others' were.

"My tiny mortals, I have a very exciting game for you all to play." Leiah's father began to fidget uncomfortably as Hallow stood up, making his way behind the king's seat. "As you know, I love to trick and treat. Before you lift the covers of your meals, I must warn you that some of you aren't going to find your meal very appetizing. The fun part of this game is that you have to eat it anyways!" Hallow reached out for the king's plate slowly, lifting up the silver cover with a loud, 'Aha!'

From the opposite end of the table, Vivian screeched as all eyes landed on the horrified king's dish. A large pile of dead worms covered in a strange, green 'sauce' stared back at him and he desperately tried to sit up. Of course, Hallow did not let him and instead pushed him back down, grabbing a fork, "Dinner is served. Everyone, dig in!" As he shoved the fork into the King's shivering hand, everyone quickly uncovered their meals, praying that something better awaited them. As horrid groans and sighs of relief mixed in the air, Leiah slowly uncovered her platter with a stiff expression. To her joy, she noticed that unlike her unfortunate father, she had been given a delicious slice of pumpkin pie with a side of different colored candy. Vivian seemed to be the only one crying at the table, complaining loudly on how she did not want to eat or even look at the smoked tarantula before her.

Hallow moved away from the suffering King and stomped over to the tearful woman. The minute she glanced up and spotted the menacing spirit inspecting her, her mouth immediately clamped shut and her eyes widened with dread.

"You poor thing," he began, reaching out to pick up a toasted spider leg, "My practically nonexistent heart bleeds seeing you suffer in the presence of this insect. It must be eliminated."

Vivian suddenly straightened her back, a prideful look growing on her visage. "That's right," She began triumphantly, "I demand to have something better to eat."

Hallow turned to her, his carved eyes narrowing slightly, "What are you going on about, you old bat? I was talking to the tarantula. Frankly, I think he hates you. Ironically, so do I."

Everyone watched in silent terror as the room suddenly began to grow colder. The candles before them flickered as Hallow quickly grabbed on to the back of Vivian's neck, pulling her up from the armchair.

"Please stop, Hallow!" Leiah cried, concerned as she watched her sister writhe and sob like a baby.

"Do sit down princess. This disgrace has been spoiled all throughout her life. It's time you rise up and take her place." Hallow squeezed the soft neck of Vivian, causing her to yelp out as the tips of his fingers began to sink into her skin. Leiah shook her head vigorously, frantically trying to think of a way to appeal to the creature's better side.

"Um...I'll eat the spider!" she spat out, trying to hold back the disgust growing on her face, "I'll eat whatever you want me to. She can have my meal, just put her down, please?"

Instantly, the dining room became illuminated once more and Hallow's confused pumpkin head slowly turned back to the writhing human in his grasp. "Why would you do something like that for a wretch like her?" Leiah, realizing that she had at last calmed the situation down, sighed in relief and sat back in her own seat, "Because she's my sister." Hallow dropped the woman without a care- ignoring her small yelp.

"You humans are so disgustingly fascinating. The daughter rescues the one who has treated her horribly, while the father stays quiet and watches as his favorite child screams for help. What a bloody coward your 'great' king is." Leiah couldn't even turn to face her father, because she knew it was all true. He did nothing to save Vivian, and that was something she was sure her older sister wouldn't forgive so easily.

Trying to move past what had just occurred, she grabbed a hold of her plate and prepared to trade it with Vivian. Hallow immediately stopped her, "What do you think you're doing?"

"I'm just going over to my sister?"

"No. She stays with what she has and you stay with yours." Leiah was going to object, but after a bit of hesitation she seated herself back down and continued chewing on her food- much to her sibling's disappointment. At this point, the guards including Tyrell were too distracted by what was going on to continue eating their own meals.

Fortunately for him, Tyrell's 'dinner' was a simple red candied apple. Unfortunately, he did not feel the urge to even touch it. Clearing his throat, he took in a deep breath of fresh air and faced the wicked King.

"Hallow, what exactly brings you here to Feria?" Everyone paused, glancing from the man to the spirit. All of them wore a tense expression on their face, all except for Leiah, of course.

Hallow tapped his claws on the table, silently staring at the skull before him in deep thought. "Hmm. Well I'm not too sure. Perhaps I'm searching for a princess to be my bride-." The king of Feria was halfway through his cup of wine, when the sudden remark caused him to spray the red contents all over the table. 

Hallow let out a loud laugh, sliding down the large armchair and propping his boots on the wooden table top. "Do you actually think I'm here to marry one of your daughters? Don't be ridiculous you wrinkled prune. I have better things to do than get married." The pumpkin continued laughing at the king as the tired man rubbed the sides of his head, trying to recover from the small scare.

Tyrell fidgeted uncomfortably in his seat, sneaking a glance at Leiah. She seemed to be content, much to his relief. It was the first time he had ever seen her this happy and somehow that eased his troubled mind quite a bit.

"'Tyrell', is it?" The young guard quickly turned towards Hallow. The tall being seemed to be staring at him now- digging deep into his soul, "You're Leiah's babysitter, aren't you?"

"In a way."

"Good, good. I'd like to drag you and this lovely princess by my side on a small adventure after dinner. Even if you say no, I'll still force you!"

Tyrell had no other choice. He forged a smile and grabbed a hold of his knife, sticking it inside the candy apple, "Whatever you say, Hallow." He took a bite of the sweet fruit, the hardened sugar on the surface making his taste buds go wild. Hallow grinned very wide and snagged a dead worm from the plate beside him, popping it into his burning mouth.

Things were going just like he had planned.