Midnight

Leiah tried her best to smile despite the horrendous shock she had just gone through. With a stiff swallow, she awkwardly glanced up at Hallow and cracked a wider grin.

"Is this real?" She asked, eyeing the surprising object inside the black box her companion proudly held out to her.

"You shouldn't doubt the authenticity of anything I offer you, lovely Leiah. Think of it as a prewedding gift. Many of the women back in my kingdom would be very jealous of you, you lucky little human."

Leiah's eyes remained glued on the dark, unusually large insect she couldn't distinguish. With a nervous shuffle, she hesitantly reached out to pick it up from the end of its thin, hairy leg.

The second she made contact with the prickly beast, Hallow lightly flung the box towards Leiah. She gasped sharply, falling backwards as the insect landed directly on her chest, its many dead eyes staring directly at her. She was sure to faint right at the spot, but what came next caught her completely off guard.

A soft, purple tongue slid across her right cheek. Leiah opened one eye and nearly jumped at the sight that awaited her.

A round, fluffy black creature she had never seen in her life rested on top of her bosom. Its pointed tongue hung out like a tired dog, and it bounced on the woman's heaving chest with excitement.

Hallow couldn't contain his laughter any longer. He slapped his knee, pointing at the embarrassed woman as clouds of smoke escaped from his mouth. "Your face! I will never forget that look, hahaha!"

Leiah picked up the creature with a cautious, yet curious gaze. It jumped into her arms, seemingly eager for affection. "Y-you tricked me. I was so frightened, Hallow. Dear God, I swear I almost died."

"You are still alive, pumpkin. Tell me, what do you think of him?"

Leiah tried processing everything that had happened, and she blinked a few times at the furry being gazing up at her with two beady eyes. "You gave me this as a gift? He's strange, yet cute. What is he?"

Hallow reached out to scratch the top of the things head, giggling as it whined softly with affection. "A lovely critter you will only see in the underworld. They can transform themselves into anything they wish, as long as it repels whoever confronts them. You, however, were not afraid to touch him. I believe that is what made him like you."

Leiah found herself smiling, and she brought the ball of fur closer to her face. "He's dark like...midnight. I think his name will be Midnight, is that okay?"

"The name suits him, princess."

Hallow watched with quiet wonder as the woman cuddled the puppy-like animal, a cheerful glow radiating from her face. For a moment, he nearly forgot why he had knocked on her bedroom door in the first place.

"Midnight needs something to chew on, and you and I have a long night ahead of us."

"But its always night now?"

"Precisely." Hallow whistled, causing Leiah's new pet to leap from her grasp and float up in the air. He disappeared right through the ceiling like a ghost, but Hallow assured his future bride that he had merely gone off to find something to feast on.

"When will he be back? Is he going to be safe?" Leiah questioned, already becoming attached with the adorable, fuzzy ball.

"Do not fret. Midnight's kind may not seem ferocious, but they can easily defend themselves against an entire army."

The princess found herself feeling a little less anxious at the king's words. She crossed her legs together, patting the floor in front of her for Hallow to sit. He crouched down, trying not to hit anything due to his enormous height.