Costumes and Corpses

Leiah stood on the rock, nervously biting the inside of her mouth and she hesitated for an answer to Hallow's question.

He had asked her what she wanted to dress up as, but so many ideas were running through her mind it was difficult to choose just one. After much debate, she finally responded, "Well, I was thinking of perhaps being some sort of dark, evil queen. However, I also want to be pretty and free, like an angel." She outstretched her arms, flapping them around like they were wings. Hallow rubbed his chin and nodded to himself, tapping his boot on the ground, "An evil queen and an angel? Hmmm."

After pacing back and forth for a while, Hallow snapped his fingers and turned to a quiet Leiah. With one hand raised towards her, he muttered a few words in a language she did not recognize. Black smoke suddenly descended from the ground; surrounding the rock. Before she had time to react, it devoured her completely, forcing her to squeeze her eyes shut as her body felt like it was being gently pulled from different directions.

A few seconds later, it suddenly stopped and the wind around her died down. She opened one eye and was surprised to find a large mirror standing right in front of her. Hallow stood behind it, tapping the glass surface with excitement as she whirled around in amazement, examining her reflection.

"Do you like it?"

Leiah nodded with a dumbfounded look on her face. She inspected the new outfit that had suddenly replaced her old clothes. It was a lovely, dark dress with a very intricate pattern. Leiah pressed her hands against her corset, noticing how they resembled ribs. Her fingers ran through the silky fabric and soon travelled up to her head. A pointed, large crown sat on her hair, causing the girl to cover her mouth in awe as she looked herself over. Turning her body to the side, she noticed a pair of gray wings protruding from her back. She let out a loud yell, not of fear but of surprise. Wiggling her body, Leiah was shocked to find that the wings moved with her and even flapped lightly when she reached out to touch them.

"A-Are those-?"

"Why, of course they're yours. Though your request was a bit odd, I decided to give you some wings to fulfill the 'angel' part. As for being an evil queen...well you look like one if I do say so myself."

Leiah straightened up, twirling around as the smile on her lips grew. "I feel so powerful and mysterious. I imagine myself as a dark queen ruling the land of the undead. All who try and fight me perish in a cloud of fire and smoke!" She ran off the high boulder she stood on in an attempt to try and fly. Unfortunately, Hallow was too late in warning the princess to not do just that.

The young woman fell face first into a small bush consisting of dry roses and deadly thorns. Hallow watched as she stayed paralyzed for a bit, then began to curse as she tried to wriggle free. The spirit made his way over to her and plucked her from the shrubbery. She wiped her face as she stared down at her torn arms and dress in dissappintment. Even her crown had fallen to one side. This upset her even further and she covered her face with her hands as Hallow let out a loud sigh, snapping his fingers. In an instant, her costume was gone, including her wings. All that was left was her former outfit.

"Perhaps I shall create something a little more manageable for you. Later," the Halloween king stated as he patted Leiah's hand with his large hand. "Dry your tears, young one! Why, to me you're still the queen of the undead. I will now escort you to your kingdom, my lady, and we will have a lovely time amongst the corpses."

"I'm so foolish. You made me such a beautiful costume and I ruined it."

"You act like I can't repair it."

Leiah wiped her eyes and nodded to herself, "I know you can, but-"

Hallow shushed her and pointed to a hill close by, the top covered in a dense, eerie fog, "Not now, your highness. Come and follow me." Leiah nodded solemnly and made sure to stay close to her companion as the two of them marched up the uneven hillside. They walked for a few minutes before finally reaching the top. Leiah was a bit curious as to why they ended up in the kingdom's cemetery, but she was soon taken aback as the sight of a stumbling figure caught her attention.

It was a man, yet it wasn't one at all. His face had decayed and his clothes were coated in mud and insects. He kept swaying from side to side, followed by a group of other people just like him. Leiah's eyes widened as she took many steps back, shielding her mouth before she screamed. Though she joked about ruling over zombies she didn't actually expect Hallow to resurrect the deceased citizens of Feria.

"Don't be afraid, princess. They already ate so they will not hurt you."

One of the corpses let out an unintelligible moan as it's glassy eyes glided over Leiah and landed on Hallow. It suddenly lifted up its arm and waved it, almost as if though it were greeting the large creature. Hallow returned the gesture, "My lovely flesh-eating folk, I have brought your princess here for a small snack. Do continue whatever it is you're doing. We won't bother you." Leiah watched in quiet fear as they all groaned lazily and continued shuffling in opposite directions. Some of them stopped by what she believed was their grave.

"Hallow, are those really dead people?" she asked, watching them all intently. Hallow gave a satisfied nod, holding a small teacup in his hand that he had conjured out of nowhere. Once Leiah turned to face him, he handed it to her eagerly, "It's pumpkin tea, princess. As for your question, the answer is yes."

He could tell that something was bothering her as she watched each one with eagerness in her bright eyes. "You shouldn't worry about them. Their spirits are elsewhere and it's only their bodies that remain- brainless and obedient."

"So if someone I knew died and became one of them...it's not really them is it?" Leiah asked, taking a sip of her tea and smiling softly as the warm contents travelled down her throat and into her stomach. "I'm afraid not," Hallow responded, "Whoever it is your missing, they're either in heaven or hell. I'm only allowed into one of those places and it is much too crowded for my liking," he finished with a scoff. Leiah glanced up at him and suddenly began to laugh, "You're joking, right?"

"Not this time, princess. I was invited to hell one day, but couldn't stay for too long. Not enough room, and too many people clinging on to me," he let out a chuckle, "Your mother is upstairs, however, so you don't have to worry."

"How do you know about my mother?"

"I know many things." Leiah didn't know how to respond, but the fact that Hallow was certain her mother was in a better place suddenly made her feel so much better. She didn't even feel like crying anymore. Sipping the rest of her tea, she placed the teacup aside and stood up as she looked around their surroundings, "I have been inspired, Hallow." The king seemed pleased with this response, "You're talking about the grand party? Don't tell me anything just yet, I can't wait to see what you come up with."

Leiah nodded vigorously, returning to her cheerful, childish self as she clapped her hands together, "It's going to be so much fun. I can hardly wait."

"Why don't we go back and see if your lazy babysitter has finished carrying in the pumpkins." Hallow walked over to Leiah and outstretched his hand to help her down the steep slope. She took it and felt her heart suddenly skip a beat as he gently wrapped his cold fingers around her own.

It was such a simple act, yet she had no idea why she reacted that way. With a shake of her head, Leiah ignored what had just occurred and continued onwards as if nothing had happened.

"Hallow, can you teach me how to make pumpkin tea?"